The Howler

Every 15 Minutes – “You Are Not Invincible”

Shiane Ferretti, Editor-in-Chief

Chino Hills High School recently participated in the two-day long “Every 15 Minutes” presentation on March 15th and 16th. Starting on Wednesday, all Junior and Senior Huskies were sent out to the parking lot during their 3rd period where they sat on bleachers facing Rincon Rd. Set up in the middle of the road was four of our very own Husky students staged in a head on collision car crash. Behind the staged crash were 15 students dressed in black t-shirts with their faces painted white. Next to them were two other students dressed up as the “Grim Reaper.” The presentation started with a pre-recorded voice on the speaker acting out a phone call with 911, explaining the car crash that happened on Rincon Rd. Within a couple of minutes, police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks came flying down the road to the scene where they then assisted the teens in both of the cars. One of them (Jake Patten), being pronounced dead as he was projected through the window of the car and lying face down on the roof of the car, was covered up and taken away in a hearse. The “drunk driver” (Chris Reynosa) was tested with a breathalyzer, line test, and more before he was arrested and taken inside in a police car. The two girls (Claire Lanathoua and Alexis Iturriria) were both taken to the hospital; one was air lifted while the other was taken in an ambulance. On Thursday, the reenactment continued as the students went to the gym during their 4th period, where they watched a video of not only a recap of what happened the day before, but also a continuation of what happened to the victims while at the hospital and the reactions of their parents being told of the critical situation. There was also a reenacted funeral where Jake’s parents and Claire’s father and cousin were able to read off their eulogies for the decease. The scene ended with guest speaker, Keith Hawkins, who closed off the ceremony with some of his own life experiences and advice; including his statement, “you are not invincible”; to further enhance the risk one takes while driving. This two-day event was to spread awareness of the dangers of drunk driving, especially with prom approaching after spring break. The idea that tragedies like these can happen to anyone is truly a frightening thought that everyone should be aware of when they decide to make life-threatening decisions.

• Every 15 Minutes – “You Are Not Invincible”

Husky Nation

Husky Nation: Part 12

Feature

Proud to be a Husky!

News

PROUD TO BE A HUSKY!

Husky Nation

Husky Nation Part 11

Husky Nation

Husky Nation Part 10

Husky Nation

Husky Nation Part 9

ASB/Husky Pride

Huskies Are College Bound!

News

CHHS Drumline, World Champions!

News

8th Grade Orientation

News

Every Drumline Senior is Headed to a Four Year University!