Varsity Girls Soccer Looks Forward to Future Goals

Photo by Howler Staff

2019-20 Girl's Soccer Team

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Writer

For the girl’s varsity soccer team at CHHS, this season has had its ups and downs. While the team takes pride in the fact that they are all friends and enjoy spending time together off the field, this season has been a learning curve due to their new coach. The girls’ record this year was 7-6-2 and 3-5-1 in league, with the last game in league on Thursday, February 6 against Etiwanda High School. Playing soccer is second nature to many of the girls on the team because almost all of them have been playing since they were fairly young. As a result, the switch in coaches caused them to feel that the season was disorganized and they felt that they did not get to play the game the way they were used to. The clash in belief on how they should be coached ultimately affected their record and passion for the game. The team stated that they enjoy passing the ball instead of making straight shots into the goal, however, this had to be shifted due to the coaching style.

Playing soccer every day of the week, whether it is for practice or for games, is not as easy as some make it out to be. It is time-consuming, and several of the girls on the team admitted that their social life and school habits changed when playing the sport. Most of the team also plays for the same club, so they became comfortable with one another and appreciate playing on the same team in a school setting. Even though the season is coming to a close, the underclassmen will look forward to next season when they hopefully have a new coach and the seniors admit that they are excited to close this chapter and open a new one in college.