Coronavirus Outbreak Leads to School Closure for Three Weeks

It's important to wash your hands to keep the germs from the virus away.

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Writer

School being canceled because of a virus is unheard of. Despite speculation from students and staff, the decision to close the 35 schools in the Chino Valley Unified School District for three weeks was announced on Friday, March 13 as a result of the ongoing COVID-19, or Coronavirus, outbreak. Other school districts and university campuses had already been closed prior to Friday’s announcement, but many others in California announced their plans for closures the same day. Businesses have followed suit, with restrictions on public places in Los Angeles lasting until March 31 or later as the city goes into a lockdown that only allows places of food distribution to remain open. 

The virus, which initially originated in China, is extremely contagious and more than 6,500 people have died as it has spread into Europe and North America. Countries such as Italy have gone on complete lockdown to avoid further spreading of the virus with residents not being able to leave their homes. While some may think the media is blowing the virus out of proportion and shutting down businesses is extreme, Coronavirus is serious and should be treated wisely to limit the amount of those infected.

The term “social distancing” has been used to refer to the act of staying inside one’s home during this pandemic. This simply means that people should avoid contact with large groups of people as much as humanly possible. Doing things like going to the store to get necessities is inevitable, so hoarding supplies is unnecessary. Do not ruin everyone else’s quality of life for an abundant amount of toilet paper and hand sanitizer that you probably will not use within the next month. Stock up on what you need for several weeks, but also take into account that everyone is doing the same thing. Prevent the spread of the virus by washing your hands, staying inside, and remaining safe so we can exit this quarantine period sooner rather than later.