Seniors to Have a Drive Thru Graduation

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZnivWH3ECyp5V8BRA

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Reporter

The possibility of having an in-person graduation at the end of May was quickly dismissed after school was canceled for the rest of the year at the end of March. Even though a traditional graduation will not be happening on May 26, seniors have the opportunity to participate in a drive-thru graduation at our school. On Tuesday, May 12 an email was sent out to seniors detailing the two-day event that will occur in place of the senior’s graduation ceremony. The virtual graduation video is still planned to be released on May 27 at 6:00 pm for everyone to view. 

The drive-thru graduation ceremony will take place on May 26 and May 27. Students with the last names between the letters A and K will be graduating on Tuesday, May 26, and students with the last names L through V will be graduating on Wednesday, May 27. Seniors and their families are allowed one car for the event. The senior will be allowed to exit the car and go through a process where they will receive their diploma cover and take a picture in their cap and gown. Students must wear a mask, and they will be supplied with a mask and gloves at the ceremony. The actual diploma itself will have to be picked up at a later date. 

While the event is optional, it is nice that seniors have the opportunity to experience some sort of a graduation ceremony. The ceremony can still be treated as a normal graduation as students are encouraged to wear their cap and gowns and dress up for the event to celebrate finishing high school.