California State University Schools are to Remain Closed for the Fall Semester

Cal State Fullerton

https://images.app.goo.gl/oqLRWPDbBcug9y4c8

Cal State Fullerton

Ava Kendrena, Staff Reporter

On May 12, 2020, it was announced by California State University Chancellor Timothy White that the fall semester for all CSU students will take place at home. This announcement was made as a precautionary measure to reduce the chance of a second wave of COVID-19. Of course, having a semester take place at home poses a lot of questions about distance learning, orientation for first-year students, students who live on campus, and student-athletes. This announcement directly affects me as a first-year student because I have no way of settling into this new college experience. Everything right now is completely uncertain, and the CSU system is still working hard to answer all questions and come up with solutions at this time. 

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the decision to have a fall semester at home. I am relieved that the CSU system has decided to keep our health in mind, and I understand that these are difficult circumstances for people to be in crowds and to be with large groups. It would not be safe or ethically correct for the school year to go on as it normally would during this time, however, it is quite saddening for me as a first-year student not to have the typical college experience. A concern among students attending CSUs is that they are not getting what they are paying for by having an online first semester. Having a reduction in tuition costs has not yet been addressed by the CSU chancellor, but I believe this to be a fair request that the CSUs should follow through on. As time goes on, I hope that more of our questions will be answered and that we will have a sense of normalcy entering the fall semester of this year.