CHHS Production and Performance “The Next Best Thing”

Hannah Nelson, Staff Reporter

Theatre’s spring production of High School Musical would have opened April 23 and closed May 2, but the show was unfortunately canceled due to school closures and physical distancing guidelines. Theatre students didn’t let this get them down, however. They will be putting on a virtual cabaret-style show as a fundraiser for the program and as the final performance of the year.

The show includes recordings of songs and monologues from individuals, and will be edited together along with commentary from “hosts.” It is put on by students in the Production and Performance (P and P) theatre class and includes the work of student writers. For the students, participating in the show will count as their final for the class. The show will be posted on May 20 on YouTube and social media and will be a fundraiser where viewers are encouraged to “pay what you can” to raise money for the program. 

While the show cannot replace a live performance, it is currently the only accessible way for students to appreciate theatre one last time. A majority of P and P students are seniors, and so this will be their last performance at CHHS. The show seems to have a bittersweet effect for the students because though it’s not how they expected their last show to go, they appreciate the opportunity to do something as a final performance. “I think this cabaret production is an awesome second chance to reconnect with my classmates and fellow seniors before the “final curtain,” says Rebecca Kuhn, senior and four-year theatre student. While Rebecca misses the chance to close out the year with other theatre students, she thinks the cabaret show is “the next best thing.”