The Online AP Experience: Stressful?

The Online AP Experience: Stressful?

https://images.app.goo.gl/MRX7RX4eW3sMdd9AA

Noa Noh, Editor-in-Chief

This year, all AP (Advanced Placement) exams were held online. To some, it may have been a stressful experience and to others, it may have been the most luxurious test-taking experience at the expense of a comfortable environment and the availability of open notes. The format of each test was 45 minutes, web-based, free response exams, and there were no multiple-choice questions. Students could test in one of two testing windows: May 11-22 (primary testing windows) and June 1-5 (makeup testing windows). Each exam was offered on the same day at the same time. Depending on the subject, tests had one or two free-response questions, for example, if you have a science-related subject such as AP Psychology, you took two FRQ’s one of them being a research-related topic, and other subjects like English, Foreign Language, or History had one FRQ. In addition, Music Theory and Foreign Language exams had additional tech requirements. Students received e-tickets two days before each test. The outline of the exams required you to choose from three options of submission: copying and pasting your response, downloading a PDF of your response, or using paper and submitting a photocopy of it.

As students were allowed to test using a computer, tablet, or smartphone, there were several cases of technical problems that created stressful problems. Some students found problems in submitting their tests on time due to glitches with the system. The College Board has stated that submission issues had affected less than 1 percent of the 2.2 million tests taken this week and that students would have the opportunity to retake tests next month. The College Board also released a statement on Sunday that begins on Monday, if students are unable to upload their responses to the exam website, they can submit them by email immediately after the exam. These unwarranted situations caused a nightmarish test-taking experience for students and parents. Students seeking to request makeup exams may do so using the AP Makeup Testing Request form: http://cb.org/requestmakeup.

As a senior, I am glad that my last AP exams were taken so comfortably and most thankfully- stress-free. For now, many colleges are receiving credit for the 2020 AP exams, and some are still evaluating whether or not to give credit. Good luck to all Huskies who will be finishing up their exams this week, finish strong!