Check Out Art on Google Arts and Culture 

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Reporter

Since moving from in-class instruction to virtual school using Google classroom, Huskies in Ceramics class have been utilizing the Google Arts and Culture website and app to do a couple of creative assignments. The Google Arts and Culture website is run by Google and released in 2011 where people can view artwork from various museums and exhibits. With the ongoing global pandemic, going to places like art museums is not as accessible as it used to be. The website offers a great way to view artwork such as paintings, fashion, and architecture virtually. There are pictures and online tours of many iconic places in the world such as the Taj Mahal and the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 

Some of the assignments that students in Ms. Swanlund’s Ceramics classes did include finding a painting and recreating it as well as finding a portrait that resembled them in some way using the Art Selfie option on the Google Arts and Culture app. After taking a selfie, the app finds portraits that look similar to you and provides a list of a variety of portraits. Many of the portraits are from hundreds of years ago. This made recreating the portrait difficult, but a fun challenge to get into during social distancing. 

Exploring a collection of unique pieces on the Google Arts and Culture website is probably a past time people do not think of right away. However, looking at art is very interesting and provides further insight into other cultures and past moments in time.