Physical Isolation, Social Connection

Physical Isolation, Social Connection

Hannah Nelson

With school canceled through the end of the school year and social distancing guidelines in place, many Chino Hills High School students are feeling lonely and missing the face-to-face time with their peers. “Even though I know it’s necessary, social distance is really suffocating…It is hard not being able to see people cope with this sudden change,” says Sonel Raj, echoing the feelings of high school students everywhere. However, being physically isolated doesn’t mean that teens have to be socially isolated.

Due to the technology readily available at teens’ fingertips, it is easy to connect with people despite being physically distant from them. Teens can text each other, but during quarantine, many have taken to calling or video chatting with friends, which feels more personal and affords more actual interaction. Other ways to connect with friends include watching a movie together (either video chatting while watching a movie at the same time or by using one of various screen sharing services), celebrating a friends’ birthday by driving by their house or even just finding a new common hobby and taking time to talk about it.

Even though I know it’s necessary, social distance is really suffocating..”

— Sonel Raj

Social distancing is important for the physical health of our nation, but emotional health is not insignificant. It is important to set aside time to socialize with close friends. The current generation of teenagers is often criticized for using their phones too often, and while texting and social media can be distracting, some amount may be necessary in current times in order to keep our youth connected in a time of separation.