Expanded Expression in a Time Where Much is Limited

Hannah Nelson, Staff Reporter

Doubtlessly many students are wondering what to do with their newfound free time. Plenty of Chino Hills High Huskies have already found a solution: art. Students in the Production and Performance theatre class here at CHHS, robbed of their spring musical and their usual artistic outlet, have turned to other ways to use their creativity. These include baking, songwriting, playing the ukulele, writing a short film, drawing, and painting. 

As students are feeling frustrated or sad about being locked down and about school being canceled for the rest of the year, finding a creative outlet is more important than ever. Support for the arts in schools has faced challenges over the years as school districts have wanted to devote more money and resources toward subjects that can help raise test scores or that may seem more important to colleges. However, the arts have shown enough value that they remain and most schools across the country require students to take at least one art course in their high school career.

For a lot of students who normally have a large portion of their time devoted to schoolwork and extracurricular activities like sports and clubs, they may only participate in the arts at school. Now that they are home, they don’t necessarily have the same routine creative activities. Because art can be a valuable form of expression, though, students should look for other ways to exercise their creative muscles. 

I have always loved to write. During the past several years I have from time to time written poetry and worked on scriptwriting, but much of my time and creative energy has been directed toward the theatre program at the school. In the last few weeks, having been home and no longer having rehearsals for our show, I have turned to writing much more frequently than I previously had. 

We find ourselves in a unique situation. While it may seem absurd to look for a silver lining during a global crisis, there is a seldom afforded opportunity present for students doing school work from home to devote more time to a creative activity or find a new form of art they enjoy doing. Students feeling a wide range of emotions during this quarantine period, from anger to loneliness to boredom, might want to pick up a paintbrush, pencil, pen, or musical instrument and create.