The Toll Coronavirus Took on My Senior Year

https://images.app.goo.gl/rebf9B4w3vsuNzsJ9

Ava Kendrena, Staff Reporter

When I started high school four years ago, it never would have crossed my mind that I would be ending one of the most significant eras of my life with absolutely no recognition of my achievements. If I told my freshman self that all the clubs, activities, projects, assignments, and classes I invested myself in were not going to be celebrated at the end of the year with the rest of my peers, my family, and my friends, she probably would just laugh. 

As a young girl, I used to dream about the day when I would walk across the stage to accept my diploma at graduation, and all the hard work I put into my years of schooling would feel meaningful and validated. It hurts more than anything that this dream of mine, and of many other seniors around the country is being stripped away.

The thing that I have accepted from this bizarre and unlikely situation we are in is that we truly have no control over what has happened. We have no choice but to accept the fact that we are not at fault for this situation, and that it could have happened to anyone. This situation has also taught me that I have taken my high school years for granted. My time in high school felt short as it was, and to have it be cut even shorter was something I could have never anticipated.

the Class of 2020 will persevere”

Although I was very involved throughout high school, and I participated in many clubs and activities, I am distraught by the fact that I did not get the chance to really savor my final moments, and I did not get the chance to say goodbye to the people who helped shape my high school experience. 

We can try to come up with as many solutions as we want to “replace” graduation, prom, senior night, and all the other joyous events that come with being a senior, but the truth is that you can not replace the time of just enjoying the presence of your peers, being in class, or talking to your favorite teacher. 

My heart goes out to the Class of 2020. We do not deserve to miss out on some of the most memorable moments of our lives. We do not deserve to go unrecognized. We do not deserve missing our final opportunity to say goodbye to the school that occupied us for four years.  This situation is not what any of us wanted, and it by all means is not normal. What I do know is that we are stronger together, and once this tragedy is over, the Class of 2020 will persevere.