Disney Spreads Joy and Magic With Televised Sing-Along Event

Isabella Kendrena, Staff Writer

On April 16, Disney broadcasted a nationwide sing-along event on ABC in order to bring happiness and joy during the quarantine. The sing-along featured many singers, actors, and celebrities performing their favorite Disney songs with the words up on the screen for families to sing along to at home. Some of the popular performances of the night included “I Won’t Say I’m In Love” by Ariana Grande, “When you Wish Upon A Star” by Beyonce, and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” by Christina Aguilera. The lighthearted television event had many memorable moments, including a virtual reunion of the cast of High School Musical. The stars of the original cast joined forces with the cast of the new Disney Plus series High School Musical to sing the hit song “We’re All in This Together.” High School Musical star Zac Efron, who played Troy Bolton in the movies, left a very heartwarming message saying, “Hi everyone. I hope that you’re safe and that you’re healthy and that you’re doing as well as possible during these unprecedented times… I hope that you enjoy and remember we are all in this together.” 

At the end of the event, a video compilation was put together of families thanking all of the doctors, nurses, policemen, and essential workers that are working tirelessly to keep people safe. It was a great way to honor the heroes that keep our society functioning in such difficult times. The sing-along event drew in 10.3 million viewers nationwide, showing how when even apart, Disney magic can bring people together.