The Howler

The Solar Eclipse

Samuel Aguilar, Staff Writer

Monday, August 21, 2017 was very unusual than any average day. The entire country experienced a solar eclipse that traveled from the west to the south. Eclipses that are seen throughout the country are known as total eclipses and the last time the United States had one was on June 8th in 1918. The eclipse began at about 1:15 pm ET in Oregon as the moon began its journey of crossing the sun. The eclipse finished its journey across the United States at about 2:49 pm ET somewhere in South Carolina. The eclipse took about one hour and thirty-three minutes to pass through the whole country. The website “eclipse17.org” explains claims that when the eclipse first reached Oregon, it was traveling at speeds of about 2,955 mph. The shadow does not move at constant speeds because of the curvature of the Earth. Also according to “eclipse17.org,” by the time the eclipse reached its final destination in South Carolina; it had been traveling at speeds of about 1,502 mph. The eclipse had a certain path so most areas did not get completely dark, but the moon could still be seen covering the sun everywhere in the United States. The states fortunate to receive the full experience of the eclipse were Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North, and South Carolina. The eclipse could even be seen in most of Hawaii, but only by about 20%. The eclipse was a very exciting event for the whole country. The next time the United States may see an eclipse could be April 8, 2024.

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Santa Barbara Development Near Chino Hills High

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Powerful Hurricane Harvey

• The Solar Eclipse

News

First Day of School More Exciting With Something New

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Center Ice Gets a Makeover

• The Solar Eclipse

News

May Howler 2017

• The Solar Eclipse

News

New Section in the Howler Newspaper!

• The Solar Eclipse

News

March Howler – Available in Room 270

• The Solar Eclipse

Clubs

The CHHS Bowling Club

• The Solar Eclipse

Student Life

SAT Day for Seniors

• The Solar Eclipse

Arts

New Season for CHHS World Champion Drumline

The Solar Eclipse