The Howler

The Solar Eclipse

Samuel Aguilar, Staff Writer

Monday, August 21, 2017 was very unusual than any average day. The entire country experienced a solar eclipse that traveled from the west to the south. Eclipses that are seen throughout the country are known as total eclipses and the last time the United States had one was on June 8th in 1918. The eclipse began at about 1:15 pm ET in Oregon as the moon began its journey of crossing the sun. The eclipse finished its journey across the United States at about 2:49 pm ET somewhere in South Carolina. The eclipse took about one hour and thirty-three minutes to pass through the whole country. The website “eclipse17.org” explains claims that when the eclipse first reached Oregon, it was traveling at speeds of about 2,955 mph. The shadow does not move at constant speeds because of the curvature of the Earth. Also according to “eclipse17.org,” by the time the eclipse reached its final destination in South Carolina; it had been traveling at speeds of about 1,502 mph. The eclipse had a certain path so most areas did not get completely dark, but the moon could still be seen covering the sun everywhere in the United States. The states fortunate to receive the full experience of the eclipse were Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North, and South Carolina. The eclipse could even be seen in most of Hawaii, but only by about 20%. The eclipse was a very exciting event for the whole country. The next time the United States may see an eclipse could be April 8, 2024.

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Peer Leadership Wins Second Place

• The Solar Eclipse

Arts

CHHS Marching Band Ends Season With a Win

• The Solar Eclipse

Arts

Winter Fashion Show

• The Solar Eclipse

Arts

Husky Regiment Full of Christmas Spirit at the Chino Christmas Parade.

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Michael Rosales Wins CIF Spirit of Sport Award

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Getting a Hydroflask!

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Santa Barbara Development Near Chino Hills High

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Powerful Hurricane Harvey

• The Solar Eclipse

News

First Day of School More Exciting With Something New

• The Solar Eclipse

News

Center Ice Gets a Makeover

The Solar Eclipse