• Husky Clubs
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6
    • Chapter 7
    • Chapter 8
    • Chapter 9
    • Chapter 10
    • Chapter 11
    • Chapter 12
    • Chapter 13
    • Chapter 14
    • Chapter 15
    • Chapter 16
    • Chapter 17
    • Chapter 18

CHHS Club Rush

September 12, 2017

Husky Clubs

CHHS Clubs Show Their Pride

On the third week of the school year, the annual Club Rush took place. The week allowed the clubs of the school to publicize their clubs to gain members as well as promote their mission as a club. Music was played, and many different treats were handed out to encourage the membership of students. The festive environment allowed the individual clubs to stand out as a unique identity, but it also brought together the Husky students, as the pride exuded throughout all the clubs. There are many different clubs, some for their religion; others appreciate different cultures, and others to help the sick or less privileged. All these clubs stand for something, and it could be the gateway to a whole new world as well as more friends. The next opportunity you need to take, just might, be joining that club that has been in your mind. Try it out!

Club Rush, Rush

The week of August 24th was Club Rush week. The entire week I and anyone else interested in the prospective clubs gathered around all the booths and looked into our options. Surprisingly, most clubs seemed less an investment in hobbies and fun, and more invested in humanitarian organizations. Red Cross, UNICEF, Tree Huggers Club, and one specifically focused on helping our local youth. This seemed to be a nice reflection of all the kindness the students at Chino Hills had to offer. Most of the people I met were helpful, lively, and very invested in what their club had to offer. Standing in over 100-degree heat the club members were pleasant and happy to be there. Every club I met with was motivated with an upbeat passion that made me want to join almost all of them. As I walked around, overheating, I felt excited with the possibility to be surrounded by driven people doing good work, as I’m sure other people felt. The entire atmosphere of Club Rush felt quite literally, rushed; however, that just added to the charm of the experience. Other experiences I’ve had with other schools were incomparable, as I felt the whole point of the clubs was to be around friends and do nothing. That’s not to say that having fun with friends and exploring hobbies is pointless, it’s just Chino Hills seems invested in getting ahead and doing well in highly regarded clubs. Overall the week of Club Rush was fun, new and exciting. I felt closer to the school and began to feel like a part of the flow outsider. Even with the terrible heat, Club Rush was a wonderful experience and I encouraged all you Huskies to go out and get involved in something you’re passionate about!

Club Rush Week

Club Rush Week, which took place on the third week of school, is now behind us. And with that, most people are returning to the clubs they were in last year, while some are trying out a brand-new experience with a new club. Whether you’re joining a club to put on your college application, or just because you thought it would be fun to join, because you genuinely like the topic. There’s no denying that you’re going to make many new friends, and have a great time. They had a great sense of variety with all the clubs per usual, with everything ranging from Red Cross and Key Club with an emphasis on volunteer work and helping others. To ACE Club and LGBTQ Club, which are both about gathering with other people to discuss their beliefs. All the way to Cinema Club and Digital Club, which is more about you participating in activities that you like with other people who share the same interests as you. Even if you missed Club Rush week for whatever reason, most clubs will still accept you as long as you don’t show up too late to the meetings. Now whether you got lured into a club with the promise of free stuff, your friend forced you to join, or you actually wanted to join the club because you wanted to join it, it’s always best to go into things with a positive attitude. This is great advice for life too.

Join CHHS World Vision Club!

If you have a passion for making an impact on children and their communities facing poverty and discrimination, the World Vision Club at Chino Hills High School is an amazing opportunity to join!!! Meetings are every first and third Tuesday of each month, during lunch in Room 235!! Free snacks, volunteer hours, and amazing opportunities will be provided!! Although Club Rush past, you are still able to join, just text 81010 on remind to @chhsworl!! The World Vision Club is a newly formed club on campus, and its future members will share the passion of serving and helping children, families, and communities around the most needed parts of the worlds who are facing difficult levels of poverty, health, and discrimination in order to build a strong team and spread awareness daily. World Vision supports the international World Vision organization through the sponsorship of children that the program provides. The World Vision club will sponsor several children from the sponsorship program provided from the international organization until the child(s) are not needed of support anymore after the support that the club gives. Support towards the children will only be provided through monthly donations and fundraisers that active members will be able to participate in. World Vision members will be able to experience and form relationships with the chosen sponsored children throughout the course of the year because contact with the children through the mail will be active!! Through the sponsorship of children, each child can experience an enriching and lifetime opportunity that only starts through that only starts from the support and effort from the club and it’s members. Let’s tackle the causes of poverty and injustice together!!

The Model United Nations Club – MUN

This past week was the Chino Hills High School Club Rush week. This Club Rush week gives the incoming freshman and existing students a chance to see what activities and clubs the school has to offer. One of the club’s CHHS has to offer is the Model United Nations Club or otherwise known as MUN. In MUN they talk about current topics in American society and around the world, along with political conversation, and debate. They also do events that the original MUN club was based from which are simulations. They run these simulations as if they were the United Nations and try to simulate what it would really be like. This club of eight years has been running strong and is determined to continue by keeping their club members involved in current events and politics. This week they plan on keeping incoming club members entertained with political questions along with starting up a WWII simulation. You can find the MUN meeting every Tuesday in room 254 at lunch.

Model United Nations

The week of August 25 to August 30 was one of the most exciting that any Husky could ever experience. It was Club Rush week, where mostly every club on campus congregated around the student entrance to promote their club and recruit new members. There were dozens of clubs out there, such as Photography Club, Hip Hop Club, and Music Appreciation Club, however, one club that was the most interesting and stood out from the rest was Model United Nations Club, also known as MUN. The model United Nations Club is an organization on campus that simulates the real-world United Nations events. Students divide into different countries and decide how to formally react to a situation. This allows creativity and allows people to express their views. Simulations, current events, and politics are also discussed and debated in MUN. Current events such as the death of Harambe and Hurricane Harvey are discussed, and events related to politics, such as the election of President Trump and many of his policies, as well as other candidates and government officials. While some discussions do get pretty intense and serious in the club, everyone still respects each other and enjoys hearing other viewpoints. MUN meets on Wednesdays in room 254; Mr. Skokan’s room. Everyone is welcome to join MUN and add to the discussions and complete the simulations. The current president is Andrew Roy, and Vice-president is Spencer Wheeler, with Officers: Diego Fernandez, Dylan Norris, Patrick McKinley, Rommel Caparas, and Ryan Mardon. Students are really encouraged to join the fun and express their opinion and views among the rest of the club.

The Polynesian Club

The Polynesian Club is a very well known club at Chino Hills High School, so I felt that everyone should know a bit more about it. To find out more about the subject I sought help from Adrian Bagro, a junior officer in the club. For those who do not know, Polynesian Club is a Hawaiian dance club that uses Polynesian moves. They use these moves to create dances to perform at events like luaus. The members of Poly meet at the modules and practice from 3:00 to 5:00 on Thursdays. Later in the year they begin to have practices on Saturdays at Alterra Park from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., as the year progresses there are also practices on Tuesdays from 3:00 to 5:00. They have their meetings on Tuesday’s during lunch in room 244. I asked Adrian why he joined, and he told me that he was skeptical of joining at first, but he did because he wanted to be involved, and he also knew some people in it. He believes that others should join because it gets people out of their comfort zone. You have the chance to meet and interact with new people and become friends with them. He said that going through Luau is an experience, and that Polynesian Club is a family. Most people sign up during Club Rush, but if you’re still interested in joining, there is a sign up sheet at the meetings, and one of the officers will be there to help you get started.

Polynesian Club

We have many great clubs here at Chino Hills High School. One of my favorites is the Polynesian club. I like watching them dance because it is really entertaining and fun to watch. Andrew Santos is a junior here at Chino Hills High and is in Poly. He is a junior officer for the club. What they do is teach people Hawaiian and Tahitian style of dancing. They practice at the school on Thursdays and Saturdays. Andrew got his inspiration for Poly by going to one of the luaus for his brother’s girlfriend. He had a lot of fun there and wanted to do it when he was going to be a freshman at Chino Hills High. He plans to continue it for all four years of high school. Now, he is an officer, which means he helps choreograph and teach new members. Andrew is really serious about Poly, and he enjoys it so much, that he spends at least 10 hours a week practicing to get better.

Christian Club

Last week, Chino Hills High School had Club Rush. Club Rush is an event that is held during the third week of school every day during lunch to for students to check out and join the clubs around the school. The clubs range of a variety of things, such as, Feminism, Politics, Volunteer Work, Comedy, Religion, Hobbies, Ethnicities, and Cultures. For feminism, there are clubs like The CHHS Modern Feminist Club, and The CHHS Girl Up Club. For Politics or Debating, there are The CHHS United Nations Club, which debates and discusses issues going on throughout our world. One club that specifically stands out is the CHHS Christians On Campus Club. This club meets every Thursday to motivate and encourage each other with their faith and devotion to God. Every week there is things happening at Christian Club, such as a guest speaker who could talk about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, or, there could be a Bible Study where all the club members gather in small groups to discuss the message and Bible verses that relate to them on an everyday basis.

The Earth Laughs with Flowers… Join the Floral Club!

During Club Rush students got ready and excited to check out all the new and old clubs, but the decision of which one to sign up for was hard… especially since we have some new and interesting additions like, Floral Club! The Floral Club is a club made for anyone interested in learning how to make floral arrangements and how to work with flowers in general. The club already has many plans for events where the members will get to participate and help out other clubs. The idea of this club came from the incredibly nice and sweet ROP Event-planning teacher, Mrs. Avalos and two of her talented students. Their idea is to share their knowledge of flowers, to let members explore their creativity and of course, to have fun in the process. During Club Rush they handed out beautiful sunflowers to everyone who signed up, not to mention the clubs, creative and nice stand that caused many smiles on the faces of the people who walked by it. On their first day, the club collected about two pages with names of people who wanted to join. The club will be in room M124 and the times are still being decided. Meetings will be announced on the bulletin as soon as the first meeting is ready to be held. So if you haven’t signed up… what are you waiting for? Everyone is welcome to join. Don’t forget to listen to the announcements to make sure you don’t miss out.

The Animal Rescue League

One of the various clubs featured at Club Rush week was the Animal Rescue League. This club was created to help animals in need of rescue and to ensure that people adopt, not shop. Many students are joining, all which share the same mindset: caring for all kinds of sheltered animals and wanting to see every one of them happy. Cats, dogs, and any other kind of creature you could think of will all be included in this club’s activity agenda. Once you sign up for the Animal Rescue League, you will be a part of all kinds of activities such as zoo trips, shelter volunteering, dog walking, and promoting ideas like spaying and neutering. All these activities will of course be beneficial to animals in need. This club meets on campus every other Wednesday at 1:38pm. Now, you may be asking, “How will this club benefit me if I decided to join?” Well, the Animal Rescue League benefits both the students and animals involved in it. The animals get cared for and loved by the students while getting some well-needed exercise and attention. The students benefit from this club by being a part of something worthwhile and know that they are doing something good for defenseless animals. Out of many, many clubs, the Animal Rescue League is definitely one worth your time and effort to participate in.

Creative Writing Club

During Club Rush week, Huskies had the opportunity to sign up for a variety of exciting clubs that our great school has to offer. Clubs are a great way for students to earn community service hours and spend their time doing something productive. Furthermore, being an officer or member of a club looks amazing on college applications. In addition, they give them a break from the exhausting school day and give them something to look forward to at school. From LGBT Club to Key Club, Chino Hills High School students have many ways to get involved in campus. With over 50+ clubs on campus, chances are that students will find a club that interests them. For students who love writing, that club might be Creative Writing Club.

One of these Huskies is Ani del Rosario. Ani, a creative senior with a passion for art, is one of the co-presidents of Creative Writing Club. She claims that Creative Writing Club is a great way to get your imagination flowing and put your dreams on paper. Meeting in Mrs. Ramstack’s classroom every other Wednesday, these Huskies get together at meetings and share ideas. Every meeting, club members get together and get their creative juices flowing by coming up with stories.

Ani states that one of the main goals of Creative Writing Club is to give Huskies a space where they can be themselves and be free to write about anything they feel passionate about. Members also have the excellent opportunity to improve in their writing and pursue their dreams to become a writer or journalist. Come and stop by Creative Writing Club!

Unicef Club

During Club Rush; students were able to sign up for clubs during lunch for the new school year. A newly formed club on campus is Unicef Club. Unicef is a humanitarian organization that is dedicated to helping children in other areas receive their basic needs and rights- which are things that we may often take for granted. Unicef assists in children receiving health care, immunizations, nutrition, safe water, sanitation services, education, protection, emergency relief, and more. It has saved the most lives among all other humanitarian organizations, with 90% of each dollar raised goes directly to help those in need. The club itself aims to be involved by participating in local events, fundraising, and raising student awareness. Each month will have a theme to help educate students about humanitarian issues. The club was started by Joyce Han, who has had a passion for helping children ever since she started volunteering at her church nursery; she has since become a kindergarten Sunday school teacher and has also interned at an elementary school. Through Unicef Club, she aims to broaden her scope and start helping children internationally. Joining Unicef Club is a great opportunity for helping others and increasing awareness about global issues, and is an active way to become involved in areas that extend beyond the local community. Huskies who are interested in joining this club can sign up, as meetings will be on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month starting September 12th in room 137.

CHHS’s Newest Club: CHHS Local Young Artists Club

One of the great things about Chino Hills High School is that we have such a diverse range of clubs where everyone can find a place where he/she belongs. Club Rush exemplifies this diversity, where students can look for clubs to join, and every club has the opportunity to recruit new members. Another wonderful thing is about our school is that, if people cannot find that club that makes them feel at home, it is extremely easy for them is start their own. That is what exactly Skye Salamat did when she began the CHHS Local Young Artists Club. Skye saw that CHHS had several different art clubs, among them Photography Club, Club Cinema, and Creative Writing. While she admired those clubs, as an aspiring creative filmographer, she felt out of place. She also felt that those categorized clubs didn’t allow multiple mediums of art to intersect in the beautiful way they often do. What Skye wanted was to create a unique club that encompassed all mediums of art and combined them. She wanted to create a community in which students could share whatever form of art they were passionate about: photography, film, poetry, prose, drawings, paintings, etc. It is her hope that the members of CHHS Local Young Artists will be supportive of one another’s’ works. Skye also hopes to create a sort of portfolio at the end of the year of all the club members’ work. She plans on cumulating the different mediums into a magazine that will be sold on campus. The club will be hands-on; members will be able to get feedback on their art from fellow members. This is an exciting collaborative club that meets the second and fourth Thursday of every month in Mr. Choi’s classroom, beginning September 15th. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity to be a part of such an exciting club!

Fashion Club takes the Stage!

If you’re the kind of person who loves to dress up every single day or is into clothes, jewelry or fancy shoes, then the Fashion Club would be perfect for you. This is the second year that the club has made its appearance and has continued to be one of the main events happening on campus. This is a great opportunity for students not only to experience new surprises, but to also meet new people and enjoy a whole year just filled with nothing but fun and of course…. the fashion world. What to expect when you join the Fashion Club? Well, one thing for sure is that it’s a whole lot of fun! Since it is a fashion organization, you will also get more insider news on what fashion is all about. Topics such as fashion week, celebrity styles, magazines, etc. are a few discussions we have in the Fashion Club. Once in a while the fashion group takes short trips to give students a chance to experience more fun and to make memories. One of the most exciting events the Fashion Club gets to work on together is a fashion show! Yes. A fashion show! This occasion allows everyone to have a role in the making of the show. Students get to pick to be a model, help set up for the event, put on makeup to enhance the look or help out with the clothes. There are plenty of other paths to unfold when you join the Fashion Club. This organization not only focuses on the fashion world, but to also make your year something to look back at. You won’t regret joining this club!!!

The CHHS Bowling Club

Many people consider bowling to be an unappreciated sport, and yes, I said sport; if it can be seen on ESPN, then it is considered a sport. I’ve always wanted to get into bowling for a long time, but the school had no avenues to do so. That is until very recently, when the Bowling Club came to be. This is the second year of the Bowling Club’s existence, and it should be considered one of the fastest growing clubs on campus. Its founders include Justin Park, Sammy Newhide, and my good friend Connor Chochimski. I was a member last year, and it was quite enjoyable. All of the bowling activities took place at the Chaparral 300. There would be a cheap admission of just five bucks, and you would split into competitive teams. I believe last year, the club met on the first Monday of every month for a meeting, and games were one Saturday a month. However, this is the first year in which the meetings are being held in Mr. Wiechert’s room, so things may run a little more smoothly. Once in a while, there would be a tournament to play, and the winner would be awarded a trophy. One thing people may like to consider is that there are levels in which you can be put in. There’s an intermediate, normal, and advanced level, so you can just be starting out, and still have fun. The Bowling Club is a fun club to be a part of. It offers people the chance to hang out with friends, and is competitive as well. I look forward to what they’ve got in store this year.

African Culture Club

At Chino Hills High School, there are many new and amazing clubs one of them is the African Culture Club! The purpose of this club is to inform people about the beauty of African Culture. In the meetings outside the club meetings, you have opportunities for club bonding as well. You can learn different dances and performances and do volunteer work. African Culture Club welcomes everyone from all ethnicities and backgrounds to join the club. So come on Huskies, club meetings are every 3rd and last Friday of the month in room 152 that is Mr. Barbosas room! See you there Huskies!

Chino Hills High Garden Club

Imagine cultivating a vegetable garden. The soil and plants need the supports of nutrients, demonstrate biological processes, and provide concrete examples of scientific principles. A garden can portray a creative expression and serve as a source of artistic inspiration. A garden can serve as academic pursuits, expand the knowledge of the environment, can be incorporated and used to its fullest academic, experimental, and social potentials, not only outside but surrounded by the knowledgeable minds of students at a school. Chino Hills High School has innovated inside the campus at the modules by the Garden Club. The Garden Club is a new club on the campus and formed last year. They earned a $2,000 grant from the Bo-ing Company to create a vegetable garden. Chino Hills High School is the first high school the Bo-ing Company partnered with and will hopefully continue to partner with throughout the course of the years. So far participants in the Garden Club contributed in planting a variety of vegetables and fruits such as lettuce, tomato, basil, peas, and strawberries. They plan to plant a pumpkin patch next year as well!! A pathway was incorporated to create a pathway for the native plants. Mr. Reye’s Art Club donated signs, and the solar boat club will also contribute to the Garden Club by donating the boats in order to create benches. The club advisors are Ms. Garcia and Mr. Larson; the meetings are every Thursday during lunch in Room 256. The club and the garden are open TO EVERYONE, and it would be a fantastical innovation for students across the campus to contribute to help a healthy and open environment!!