Model United Nations

September 12, 2017

The week of August 25 to August 30 was one of the most exciting that any Husky could ever experience. It was Club Rush week, where mostly every club on campus congregated around the student entrance to promote their club and recruit new members. There were dozens of clubs out there, such as Photography Club, Hip Hop Club, and Music Appreciation Club, however, one club that was the most interesting and stood out from the rest was Model United Nations Club, also known as MUN. The model United Nations Club is an organization on campus that simulates the real-world United Nations events. Students divide into different countries and decide how to formally react to a situation. This allows creativity and allows people to express their views. Simulations, current events, and politics are also discussed and debated in MUN. Current events such as the death of Harambe and Hurricane Harvey are discussed, and events related to politics, such as the election of President Trump and many of his policies, as well as other candidates and government officials. While some discussions do get pretty intense and serious in the club, everyone still respects each other and enjoys hearing other viewpoints. MUN meets on Wednesdays in room 254; Mr. Skokan’s room. Everyone is welcome to join MUN and add to the discussions and complete the simulations. The current president is Andrew Roy, and Vice-president is Spencer Wheeler, with Officers: Diego Fernandez, Dylan Norris, Patrick McKinley, Rommel Caparas, and Ryan Mardon. Students are really encouraged to join the fun and express their opinion and views among the rest of the club.