• Wrestling
    • Chapter 1

CHHS Boys Wrestling Packs a Punch

February 12, 2018

Our CHHS Boys Wrestling Team is a great group of Huskies that are truly determined and skilled in their craft. Coach Cote leads our boys into matches and trains them for the season so that our team is the best it can be. A fun fact about our boy’s wrestling team that is not very well known is that there are a few girls on the team as well. The wrestlers practice every day from 2:30 to 5:30 with extreme conditioning and sweat downs, in order to get ready for matches and so that they are in good shape. Before matches, the players get ready by not eating and by getting their mind focused on wrestling. When asked, the players agreed that Rancho Cucamonga is their favorite school to wrestle because they provide the most competition and are the most fun to wrestle. Most of the players decided to join wrestling because it’s the only legitimate Martial Arts, sport at school, and the skills needed to transfer into other sports. The most common injury that wrestlers have to deal with is shoulders, knees, and joint damage. The player’s favorite part about wrestling is that it is a great mix because you can win as a team and as an individual so it is a combination of team and individual sports. For the boys and girls the hardest part about wrestling is staying in shape and dealing with the weight issues, so that they don’t get disqualified. Our CHHS Wrestling Team is truly a Husky team that is dedicated to their sport and is willing to go the extra mile to represent our school.

Wrestling Hair Bleaching Tradition

Perhaps you have been walking around campus and have seen a bleached head of hair and wondered what might compel someone to make such statement. It is likely the head you’ve run into belongs to someone on our award-winning Chino Hills High School Wrestling Team. According to one of the four wrestling team captains, wrestling was the first sport to begin the hair bleaching tradition. It has served not only as a means of identifying as a team, but bonding through a shared idiosyncrasy. They unanimously agree that the bond that all the members of wrestling share with one another is one of the best things about being on the team. Wrestling is one of the few sports where camaraderie and individuality coexist and allow teamwork and personal success. This duality allows a tight-knit group of talented individuals who build each other up. As co-team captain Cameron Barbin explains, “I want to be the best I can be; I don’t look at others.” The team works together to encourage one another to be the best version of themselves. To train to be the best the wrestlers do a lot of heavy conditioning, perhaps the most of any sport on campus. They also hold one another accountable when it comes to weight, but not for superficial reasons. The team members explain that you want to be the heaviest in a lower weight class as opposed to in the middle or lighter end of your usual weight class, and to do so you must lose weight before a match. The bright side is the team usually gets together after matched to stuff their faces, finally free from weight restrictions (until next match, at least). The team members go through this fluctuation together, and it just serves as yet another thing that bonds them together. They are also bonded by their love for the sport itself, and the expertise wrestling gives them in other aspects of life, both physically and mentally.