• Goodbye
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4

Saying Goodbye to Some Special Husky Staff Members

Debee Payne, Mr. Whetzel, Mrs. Whetzel, Mr. Wyckoff

May 23, 2018

Husky Nation Staff: Debee Payne

Chino Hills High School is lucky to have a hard working staff that is dedicated to helping all the students at our school. One of these staff members has just completed her final year of work here at Chino Hills High School. Debee Payne was the Registrar, in charge of maintaining the records of all the students at our school. Her job was also to handle the transcripts of the students, which is a very important job, especially for the senior students, that need their transcripts sent to all the colleges they will be attending this year. Debee has worked here at Chino Hills High since its inception in 2001. Before coming to our school; however, she worked at some other schools, and also worked in the sales department for American Airlines. Debee got a degree in Liberal Arts at Cal Poly Pomona. When asked to tell an interesting fact about her childhood, Debee had one story in mind. She told me about the time when she was 12 years old and won Sunset Magazine’s Garden Competition. Debee has been at CHHS since the opening of the school, and she will be leaving behind many colleagues and friends, and this is what she’s going to miss the most about leaving our school. Debee’s next chapter will be a transfer to The Boy’s Republic, where she will be increasing her hours of work at that school. Debee will certainly be missed here at Chino Hills High School, and she will not be forgotten.

Husky Nation Staff: Mr. Whetzel

We have many great teachers here at Chino Hills High School, and that includes the soon-to-be retired, Mr. Whetzel. He has dedicated himself to working at our school since its inception in 2001, and he has had the privilege of doing so with his wife. When asked what it was like to work with his wife for so many years, he said he enjoyed it. He said that he enjoyed having the same vacation time, and carpooling with her as well to work. Mr. Whetzel’s college career included earning a Bachelor’s Degree at Cal State Fullerton, and then earning his Master’s Degree at La Verne University. He chose to be a Science teacher because he was always interested in science, specifically in biology. Mr. Whetzel says that he will miss the students the most after he retires. He also said that he will miss getting up early every morning the least. His advice to future incoming teachers is to pick a different profession than teaching. Mr. Whetzel is a great teacher who was in his class my junior year. He will certainly be missed here at CHHS, and we all wish him well in his retirement!

Husky Nation Staff: Mrs. Whetzel

After 10 years of hard work and dedication here at Chino Hills High, Mrs. Whetzel is finally ready to call it quits. She and her husband, Mr. Whetzel, also a teacher here at CHHS, have been working together, even before working at Chino Hills High. They keep each other motivated and have lunch together in one of their rooms every single day. They’re both retiring this year and plan to move to their other house in Nevada. They also want to spend more time with their family and traveling. The main reason Mrs. Whetzel became a teacher is her love for children. So obviously, she’s going to miss the kids the most, but is relieved to finally be able to sleep in every day. She feels like the most important thing someone should know before becoming a teacher is that you have to always be a good role model to the students.

Husky Nation Staff: Mr. Wyckoff Says Goodbye to Teaching

After 6 years of teaching Chemistry here at Chino Hills High School, and 25 years plus of various other teaching jobs and other professions, Mr. Wyckoff is finally ready to retire. He realized he wanted to be a teacher after his job at the Aluminum Foundry fell through. He had a love for kids his entire life, so he went and got his teaching credentials. From there he taught at a number of schools, including, Ruth Muster Middle School, Don Lugo, and even worked in administration at Ayala for 4 years. His first year at Chino Hills High was actually spent in administration, but he liked teaching kids immensely more. That and the amount of stress that comes with an administration job helped him to make his decision to go back to teaching. The thing that Mr. Wyckoff is going to miss the most about leaving CHHS is without a doubt the students, and the one thing he can’t wait to get away from Is the testing. In retirement Mr. Wyckoff and his wife plan to travel more, continue their love for biking, and spending more time with their family.