Heating Up at the Debate Club

September 18, 2018

Heating Up at the Debate Club

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

The Debate Club is a club about, well, debating! The many people who joined Debate Club were in elation by all that will happen in it. Debating different topics, to competing with other schools and having a chance at winning the Debate State Championship! However, a lot of students also feel nervous at the prospect of having only 20 minutes for a spontaneous debate. “ I felt kind of freaked out about this,” said Tokoni, a member of the club, “but it sounds really awesome at the same time.” Only the best of the best debaters who have beaten other schools shall be attending the state championship. To win, you must debate about a topic that was given 20 minutes prior. You get points by making points that the judge feels are very strong to your argument. The topics may vary, however; they focus on real-world problems. There are two sides of the argument the house, or the affirmation, and the opposition. The house (or the opposing team) would be the party to approve of the said topic. The opposition would either try to prove the approval of said topic wrong or find better ways of making the topic better and more candid. You won’t always be on the side of the topic you agree with all the time. Students feel at first a little intimidated by the debate club, but it wears off after a few of the competitions. The roaming around California for competitions will always be fun for students. The free 45 minutes before the competition always get the students pumped up and a little sugar-rushed. Besides, the sugar rush from the cafeteria, the competition will be so much fun, and you will have a blast proving other people wrong! Join Debate Club, every Wednesday after school in room 210. See you there!

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial