The Indian Culture Club

September 18, 2018

The Indian Culture Club

The Indian Culture Club, a new club that was founded in CHHS this year, aims to celebrate Indian culture whilst teaching students about the festivals and traditions of India. The club’s meetings are held in room 140 on Mondays during lunch. At the club, there will be food, movies, music, and activities all related to the Indian culture. Nishtha Mistry, co-president of the ICC, says that she “ started the club in order to bring more awareness to the Indian community on campus and to acknowledge the diversity [of] people on campus.” Also, she wanted to “ start a new community on campus to teach and educate people about Indian culture and festivals.” An example of an ICC event would be to do activities based on what festivals are big in the month, such as Diwali, the Festival of Lights. Every person in the club would experience an aspect of the festival so that they could get a new cultural viewpoint from the festival. Many people on campus are not very knowledgeable about Indian culture, and the ICC board hopes that by the end of the year, people can come out with knowledge about a new culture and its varying and diverse traditions. Every month, the club will do various activities based on the cultural holiday of the month, and will bring in things like food and activities that pertain to the respective holidays. This is the club’s first year, and hopefully it can be a long-lasting club that can provide a cultural impact on its members.