Father and Daughter: Bringing in New Artists

September 18, 2018

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Between August 27th and 31st, students got to explore Center Ice and the student entrance to see a variety of clubs at Club Rush. The Art Club in particular caught my attention, because I personally have had a long history with a variety of artists and have come to appreciate the work they put out there. With that appreciation I joined the Art Club about a year ago, and I would like to share why you might be more likely to join than you think. The club is run by the art class teacher Mr. Reyes, and his daughter Francesca Reyes is the President, and Savannah Vivanco is the Vice President. I decided to pay them a visit and managed to ask Mr. Reyes some questions, since he runs the club.

Q: What kind of activities do you have in the club, and is there anything you want to point out in particular for new members?

A: I think our field trips are our strongest points. We talk about art, going to museums, shows, participating in local contests; we have our district art show that happens in the spring. There was a student art show in Pomona that we participated in for a few years. We try to encourage students that are “ artsy” to try to put their work in for judgment in how well they do against other artists. We also travel in a couple different field trips each year. Sometimes we go to the Las Angeles County Fair in September. We go on Veterans Day to Olvera Street. We’re trying to raise funds to go to Disneyland. And then we’ll do a spring museum trip as well to some of the local Pomona museums. However, this year instead of doing the Pomona museums we might try going to the Riverside museums in the spring, which would be one of our last field trips.

Q: How skilled in art do you need to be to join the club?

A: We’ve never asked someone to be skilled. We just want them to have a good time and experience art with us. There’s never been a prerequisite. We’re not asking that you have classes with us, only that you’d like to join us. We’re not as diligent as other groups that have specific duties and tasks. We’re kind of laid back and we like going to places that have art that we can see.

As you can see, if you are into art in any way, shape or form, then you have no reason to be shy about joining the Art Club. I myself have never had to draw anything for the club, and yet I’ve attended a majority of the meetings and hope to soon attend field trips. If you are interested in joining the club you can go to room 260 and talk to either Mr. Reyes, Francesca Reyes, or Savannah Vivanco. The first meeting of this month will be on the 13th in room 260. Make sure to join us!