Polynesian Club

September 18, 2018

Polynesian Club

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

There are so many unique clubs in Chino Hill High School, but one in particular is probably one the longest running and diverse club, which is the Polynesian Club. The Polynesian Club is a dancing club with modified versions of the Tahitian and Hawaiian Traditions with a little bit of Somoan choreography. You get to meet a lot of new people and get to learn a lot of things about the Polynesian culture like what they eat, how they tell stories, and how they dress. They tell stories by dancing just like a play on a stage except with music and a lot of loud noises to show emotion. They practice the various basic moves that they do everyday twenty to thirty minutes. Then, the two hours left of practice they learn around forty- eight counts to a dance that entails forty-eight times they do each move. Then, they prepare a special event called a Luau, which is a traditional Hawaiian party or feast that is usually accompanied by entertainment, it features food like pork, chicken, and lomi salmon. Then, they brush up on every dance like battle, which is a controlled fight where the members are given long sticks and a shield or no shield against two smaller sticks and their goal is whoever sticks breaks by battle, the one that broke it is victorious. This club is one of many diverse and special clubs.