• Clubs
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6
    • Chapter 7
    • Chapter 8
    • Chapter 9
    • Chapter 10
    • Chapter 11
    • Chapter 12
    • Chapter 13
    • Chapter 14
    • Chapter 15
    • Chapter 16
    • Chapter 17

Chino Hills High Club Rush

Chino Hills High Club Rush

September 18, 2018

Chino Hills High Club Rush

Father and Daughter: Bringing in New Artists

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Between August 27th and 31st, students got to explore Center Ice and the student entrance to see a variety of clubs at Club Rush. The Art Club in particular caught my attention, because I personally have had a long history with a variety of artists and have come to appreciate the work they put out there. With that appreciation I joined the Art Club about a year ago, and I would like to share why you might be more likely to join than you think. The club is run by the art class teacher Mr. Reyes, and his daughter Francesca Reyes is the President, and Savannah Vivanco is the Vice President. I decided to pay them a visit and managed to ask Mr. Reyes some questions, since he runs the club.

Q: What kind of activities do you have in the club, and is there anything you want to point out in particular for new members?

A: I think our field trips are our strongest points. We talk about art, going to museums, shows, participating in local contests; we have our district art show that happens in the spring. There was a student art show in Pomona that we participated in for a few years. We try to encourage students that are “ artsy” to try to put their work in for judgment in how well they do against other artists. We also travel in a couple different field trips each year. Sometimes we go to the Las Angeles County Fair in September. We go on Veterans Day to Olvera Street. We’re trying to raise funds to go to Disneyland. And then we’ll do a spring museum trip as well to some of the local Pomona museums. However, this year instead of doing the Pomona museums we might try going to the Riverside museums in the spring, which would be one of our last field trips.

Q: How skilled in art do you need to be to join the club?

A: We’ve never asked someone to be skilled. We just want them to have a good time and experience art with us. There’s never been a prerequisite. We’re not asking that you have classes with us, only that you’d like to join us. We’re not as diligent as other groups that have specific duties and tasks. We’re kind of laid back and we like going to places that have art that we can see.

As you can see, if you are into art in any way, shape or form, then you have no reason to be shy about joining the Art Club. I myself have never had to draw anything for the club, and yet I’ve attended a majority of the meetings and hope to soon attend field trips. If you are interested in joining the club you can go to room 260 and talk to either Mr. Reyes, Francesca Reyes, or Savannah Vivanco. The first meeting of this month will be on the 13th in room 260. Make sure to join us!

Heating Up at the Debate Club

Heating Up at the Debate Club

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

Photo by Om Angarkar

The Debate Club is a club about, well, debating! The many people who joined Debate Club were in elation by all that will happen in it. Debating different topics, to competing with other schools and having a chance at winning the Debate State Championship! However, a great deal of students also feel nervous at the prospect of having only 20 minutes for a spontaneous debate. “ I felt kind of freaked out about this,” said Tokoni, a member of the club, “but it sounds really awesome at the same time.” Only the best of the best debaters who have beaten other schools shall be attending the state championship. To win, you must debate about a topic that was given 20 minutes prior. You get points by making points that the judge feels are very strong to your argument. The topics may vary, however; they focus on real-world problems. There are two sides of the argument the house, or the affirmation, and the opposition. The house (or the opposing team) would be the party to approve of the said topic. The opposition would either try to prove the approval of said topic wrong or find better ways of making the topic better and more candid. You won’t always be on the side of the topic you agree with all the time. Students feel at first a little intimidated by the debate club, but it wears off after a few of the competitions. The roaming around California for competitions will always be fun for students. The free 45 minutes before the competition always gets the students pumped up and a little sugar-rushed. Besides, the sugar rush from the cafeteria, the competition will be so much fun, and you will have a blast proving other people wrong! Join Debate Club, every Wednesday after school in room 210. See you there!

Photography for a Cause Club

Photography for a Cause Club

If you enjoy photography and helping out your community, the Photography for a Cause Club is the perfect club for you. It was founded by Isabella Orozco three years ago, in her freshman year here at CHHS, and she is still the President. The purpose of the Photography for a Cause Club is to learn more about photography and to help benefit the community by using cameras. Since the club started, the club members have taken photos at events like the Let It Be 5k, Relay for Life, and Holy Savior’s Preschool VBS. The members have also taken pictures for organizations like Priceless Pets and so much more. It is important to get involved in your community, and the Photography for a Cause Club is the perfect way to do it. For more information email [email protected]

ACE Club Stays Active

ACE Club Stays Active

ACE stands for Active Catholics Everywhere, and I’ve been part of this club for 3 years, and I’ve kept a strong relationship with my religion through the people I met in ACE Club. In ACE Club we learn to collaborate with one and another about our personal faith in the Catholic Church. ACE meets every Wednesday during lunch in the Mr. Lanathoua’s French classroom. There are so many Huskies that fill the meeting because they want to get close to the Catholic religion, but more importantly they want to get close with God. The best part about ACE is that its authentic love and praise for God. The core team of the club really goes into depth during prayer and overall makes you want to push yourself during prayer. My favorite thing about the ACE Club is the many Praise and Worship sessions they have during lunch. A Praise and Worship session is when a group of singers sing Christian songs that connect you to the life problems you’re going through, and the songs try to push yourself to give yourself to God. Having Praise and Worship sessions during school is helpful because if you’re stressed out from a class, or going through drama with friends or relationships the session just puts you in a good mood and makes you forget about your problems. It allows you to give yourself to God and connect with him and allows you to put your faith and problems into his hands. ACE Club is a great club because the people that lead it are truly kind and have a strong love and passion for everyone and that love is spread throughout the club. I’m proud to say that ACE Club is the place to be on Wednesdays at lunch.

Hip Hop Club

Hip Hop Club

Every year, all the students of Chino Hills High look forward to the exciting week known as Club Rush. One club that is always highly anticipated every year is the Chino Hills Hip Hop Club. Every year this club brings a high energy mixed with fun dancing on their attempt to attract large crowds. The Hip Hop Club’s main objective is to help teach students new fun dance styles. Whether it’s learning how to Pop-and-lock or being able to Break dance. Club Alumni Justin Lim believes that the Hip Hop Club was, “ created purely for the purpose of the people. It’s not a resume booster, not a technical skill, or anything like that. The Hip Hop Club is a community for people to be themselves. The current President Hunter Hayes believes the goal of the club is, “ to promote a safe and fun environment for people. Not only to dance the Hip Hop styles, but to learn about the Hip Hop culture and express themselves through Hip Hop’s outlets.”   For many people, this club is a safe place for people to be themselves and do what they love. Chino Hills High alumni and Hip-Hop Club alumni Randall Roble believes that, “ it’s not just a club, it’s a kind of brotherhood that unites those from different social economic backgrounds through nonverbal communication specifically focusing on the element of Hip Hop.”   The Hip Hop Club was founded by a man named Jerel Luna in 2008. Jerel created this club simply as a place for him and his friends to be able to dance at school. The Hip Hop club has developed into so much more than what it was originally intended for. Joining the Hip Hop Club means joining a family that just wants to have fun and dance. The Hip Hop Club holds meetings every Friday from 3-5.

The Indian Culture Club

The Indian Culture Club

The Indian Culture Club, a new club that was founded in CHHS this year, aims to celebrate Indian culture whilst teaching students about the festivals and traditions of India. The club’s meetings are held in room 140 on Mondays during lunch. At the club, there will be food, movies, music, and activities all related to the Indian culture. Nishtha Mistry, co-president of the ICC, says that she “ started the club in order to bring more awareness to the Indian community on campus and to acknowledge the diversity [of] people on campus.” Also, she wanted to “ start a new community on campus to teach and educate people about Indian culture and festivals.” An example of an ICC event would be to do activities based on what festivals are big in the month, such as Diwali, the Festival of Lights. Every person in the club would experience an aspect of the festival so that they could get a new cultural viewpoint from the festival. Many people on campus are not very knowledgeable about Indian culture, and the ICC board hopes that by the end of the year, people can come out with knowledge about a new culture and its varying and diverse traditions. Every month, the club will do various activities based on the cultural holiday of the month, and will bring in things like food and activities that pertain to the respective holidays. This is the club’s first year, and hopefully it can be a long-lasting club that can provide a cultural impact on its members.

Rush for Recruits

Rush for Recruits

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Club Rush is upon the students of Chino Hills High, and they plan to take advantage. Club Rush is the perfect time for everyone to see all the amazing clubs the school offers. This event is a great opportunity for students to pursue interests in things such as Debate, Acting, Volunteering, and so much more! There are clubs for all interests, and it’s a perfect time to look at hobbies you never thought to try! For a week during lunch, energies were running high as clubs tried to recruit anyone they could. Each club has a special way of gaining members, whether it’s by candy or cups of noodles. Some other attention-grabbers used by Clubs are music and huge posters. Among all the diverse and interesting clubs, there is a special volunteering club. Its title is the Volunteering in the Hills Club, run by Raafi Chowdury. This club meets every two weeks on Wednesdays, to discuss and plan community service. If you’re looking for a great opportunity to get involved in your community, this is the club for you! Volunteering in the Hills Club members can be found all over the city doing their part to help local hospitals, shelters, and libraries. This club even partners with nonprofit organizations to reach out to help not just those in our community. They make a difference not just in our community, but also in the world. Volunteering isn’t the only club type, though. There is a club for most interests, and if there isn’t one for you, start one! Let’s go make a difference, Huskies!

FBLA, Future Business Leaders of America

Photo by- Giselle Orozco

Photo by- Giselle Orozco

Photo by- Giselle Orozco

Photo by- Giselle Orozco

Club Rush was a blast, and in the midst of it all, new or continued clubs were present during Club Rush. Club Rush had sign ups for an amazing club; the FBLA club had a booth, which stands for Future Business Leaders of America. The President is Nick Tang along with his two Vice Presidents, Martin Oh and Chris Urena. The FBLA club is present in multiple schools and has always been a prestigious club and is very popular as well. Chino Hills High however, never had this club until this year. In the FBLA club, students go as teams or individually to conferences and competitions in which the participants are required to wear professional business wear. Then, business subjects and projects are introduced in which students compete to place in the competition. Other than competitions, there are workshops in which build the character and knowledge of the students. The FBLA will not only be a great experience along with a knowledgeable one, but will help with college and with your future in business or with life in general. The FBLA students also get to travel to fun places like Sacramento for the state competition, along with Chicago or other states for Nationals. The FBLA is a club that all students should join, as the officers have worked very hard to start it and create a prestigious and fun club.

World Vision Club

World Vision Club

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Believe it or not, a group of high school students can make an impact on children in developing countries. The World Vision club and its members have a goal of impacting their communities as well as undeserved parts of the world through the acts of donating and fundraising. Running its second year as a club, the World Vision club was created with the purpose of raising awareness to high school students about children living in poverty, and helping children in poverty to gain access to education, equal opportunities, and proper nutrition.

Its current president, Noa Noh, founded the World Vision during the fall of her sophomore year. After serving as a long-term missionary trip during her sophomore summer in Ecuador, and Mexico, Noa was inspired to create the club after having experienced the joy of helping children and their families. Throughout her missionary trip at Ecuador Noa was exposed to the world problems faced by families living in poverty and the limited amount of resources exposed to children, such as textbooks, and educational materials; and with this vision, she became motivated to share her passion with others.

Every second Tuesday of the month, members meet in room 253 during lunch to receive updated information about fundraisers or events that members can attend for volunteer service hours that will impact them throughout the school year as well college applications. Throughout each school year, club members contribute their time and effort in various club fundraisers and events to raise money to send to the World Vision organization. Last year, the World Vision club ran a successful fundraiser after partnering with the World’s Finest Chocolate Organization. The club made over $1000, which went toward helping children in developing countries. Aside from the successful World’s Finest Chocolate fundraiser, all the profit the club makes from restaurant fundraisers are donated to the World Vision organization. The club is planning to add more volunteering events that aid those in the community. The club is hoping to participate in the Operation Toy Drive, in which they will visit a children’s hospital to give gifts to the patients and spend time with them. This year, the club is planning a charity gala called the Pulsera Project with campus club UNICEF to donate towards work in countries with high unemployment and frequently tough working conditions. One of the biggest events the World Vision club is hoping to participate in is the Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children Project, which will help citizens of poor citizens gain access to medical supplies and support to prevent diseases from spreading and maintain a healthy community.

BSU Club

BSU Club

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Club Rush was super exciting seeing all of the students signing up for clubs. The BSU (Black Student Union) club has amazing students spreading important news about African Americans issues in America. One thing they really want to stress about is that even if you’re not African American you can still join the club! The President is the amazing Kolbi-Rae Edney, and the Vice President is the beautiful Adriana Jones. They are really helping out students around this school, and helping spread awareness about African American issues. They are taking leadership roles that are so admirable, and they meet every week during lunch on Wednesday’s. It is very important to talk about issues that impact the everyday citizen, even if you’re African American or not. Please join BSU and help spread awareness if you have any questions, please contact Kolbi-Rae Edney and Adriana Jones!

What is Club Rush?

What is Club Rush?

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Club Rush begins at the beginning of the school year so that students have a chance to join and have more than one day to make a decision on what club to join. Club Rush is a good opportunity for students to get involved on campus and meet new students and to get to see friends as well. Many people meet their friends while involved in the same clubs. While being involved in clubs not only allows students to meet new students, but it also looks good on college applications. So, during the one week there will be many clubs lined up at center ice and the student entrance with signs, candy and posters to gain attention, so students can join their club. Each club has a sign in sheet where students will put their name, phone number, etc. With that information, the people in charge of the club will send a mass text out to everyone who signed up. The members of the club have an opportunity to meet at their meetings for the remainder of the school year. The clubs will meet and talk about their duties for the club and what the club expects of the people involved. Club Rush has many great opportunities to meet new people, to get involved in the community, and to share ideas and thoughts.

New Rugged Club is Here to Help Students Learn Outdoor Skills

Do you want to learn how to do outdoor skills and make a bunch of friends in the progress? Then, Rugged Club is the club for you. They meet every Wednesday in Mr. Macintosh’s class (room 147). In their meetings, they discuss the different methods they plan to use to learn how to do some outdoor activities. They plan to meet outside school somewhat regularly and already have their first activity planned, which is fishing. There isn’t much they have planned after that, but they plan to talk to the rest of the members and get a feel for what they’re going to want to do next. Although the technology aspect of the world is ever growing, it’s still nice to go outside sometime and really take in the nature around you. Being able to do that, and learn something in the progress, and even make a bunch of friends is what this club has to offer. Which seems like a helpful and a great club to me.

The Improv Club

The Improv Club

The Improv Club is a fantastic experience that is so unrivaled in its mind-blowing approach to a club it is almost unbearable. The Improv Club meets every Friday from 2:45-4, in room 273. When you come in you will be welcomed by the class teacher, then when you take a right, you find the perfect club waiting for you. Yet truly, the fun only starts when you begin to play the improv games. Personally, I was privy to be a part of two of the games. The first being a game where I pretended to be a superhero who was a realtor, and I along with three others had to save the world from dolphins. It, well, was utterly fantastic. The creative freedom and environment imbued you with such passion it is beautiful. The next game I got to play was a game where I pretended to be an astronaut of some kind on the moon, and the point was that two other people were “ props” and you had to create a story around it. That was also extremely enjoyable. Some of the other improv games we played were a game where you had to pretend to be a person with a certain quirk and the other person had to guess it. Moreover, they were also games dubbed, “ everybody games” where everyone could participate and they were usually based around puns. Freshman, Jasmine Del La Torre, said the club was “ interesting to see the diversity between each individual [and] the similarities as well” Moreover, she loved the games and said they were “ enjoyable and had a lot of comedic moments” As someone who was there I can absolutely vouch that the games had many comedic moments, almost every line uttered or action made got a huge laugh. Really, if you ever wanted to have the greatest time of your life, and laugh until you cry the only place you need to go to is, of course, the Improv Club.

Christian Club

Christian Club

photo by Giselle Orozco

photo by Giselle Orozco

photo by Giselle Orozco

photo by Giselle Orozco

At the beginning of the school year one week is dedicated to introducing the different clubs that are offered on campus. The clubs during Club Rush have the opportunity to showcase what their club has to offer for the students to sign up and join. The Christian club is a club where students can come together at school and speak about the lord freely with others who share similar thoughts; this club allows students to meet new people as well as getting to learn more about God. This club allows everyone to join even if you may not be a Christian you can still join. This club can be very beneficial to many individuals, those going through a tough time, needing someone to speak with who understand what you’re going through. Many people would love to learn more about Christ, and this is the perfect club to do so. This club meets every week to speak about the word, worship, and just be around and led by great people. To conclude Christian club is a great club to join, even if you don’t know God, they will teach you as long as you want to learn, it’s a great opportunity to get closer to God and meet new people who share similar beliefs.

Best Buddies Club

Best Buddies Club

Chino Hills High has an array of amazing club’s students can join that cover a wide range of interests. Clubs give students a way to get involved in school besides sports or other activities. One such club is Best Buddies Club, which focuses on helping special needs students in a variety of ways. Students involved with Best Buddies organize events and participate in activities with special needs students. Events include dances, games, and other organized activities to get students involved and having fun. A primary goal of the club is to become friends with the students and help them feel comfortable at school. Seeing familiar faces throughout the day can make a large impact on someone’s wellbeing. Through Best Buddies Club, students can earn community service hours that can contribute to college applications. Community service is a great way to give back to the community, while also doing something that makes you feel good about yourself. It also provides life experience and a way to better yourself as a person. Best Buddies Club meets every Thursday in room 105 during lunch. To receive reminds and updates on meetings the remind is @chhsbff.

Polynesian Club

Polynesian Club

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

There are so many unique clubs in Chino Hill High School, but one in particular is probably one the longest running and diverse club, which is the Polynesian Club. The Polynesian Club is a dancing club with modified versions of the Tahitian and Hawaiian Traditions with a little bit of Somoan choreography. You get to meet a lot of new people and get to learn a lot of things about the Polynesian culture like what they eat, how they tell stories, and how they dress. They tell stories by dancing just like a play on a stage except with music and a lot of loud noises to show emotion. They practice the various basic moves that they do everyday twenty to thirty minutes. Then, the two hours left of practice they learn around forty- eight counts to a dance that entails forty-eight times they do each move. Then, they prepare a special event called a Luau, which is a traditional Hawaiian party or feast that is usually accompanied by entertainment, it features food like pork, chicken, and lomi salmon. Then, they brush up on every dance like battle, which is a controlled fight where the members are given long sticks and a shield or no shield against two smaller sticks and their goal is whoever sticks breaks by battle, the one that broke it is victorious. This club is one of many diverse and special clubs.

Girl Up Club

Girl Up Club

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Girl Up Club Officers:
L- R: Secretary- Angie Tan, Treasurer- Hanna Atif, Fundraising Officer- Lydia Kelley, President – Jackie Liebman, Vice President – Kayla Hashimoto

Chino Hills High School students hosted a week of Club Rush from 8/27 through 8/31 during lunch at the Husky student entrance and Center Ice. The goal was to advertise clubs to get people to sign up and spread information about their club. A specific club that was at club rush was the Girl Up club. Girl Up is an organization that fundraises money for women in third world countries that do not receive an education and the necessities for life. Girl Up club at Chino Hills High is motivated to hosting fundraisers and events as well as growing a bond with new friends. Girl Up is very excited to be hosting their annual community Easter egg hunt this spring. All the funds go directly to helping women in need and providing them with the best possible life. Girl Up club officers passed out pink bracelets to those that signed up for the club and promoted their new t-shirt design for this year. Women empowerment is so important to Girl Up advocates, and the club is looking forward to a great year of bonding and hosting events for the community.