World Vision Club

September 23, 2018

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Photo by - Giselle Orozco

Believe it or not, a group of high school students can make an impact on children in developing countries. The World Vision club and its members have a goal of impacting their communities as well as undeserved parts of the world through the acts of donating and fundraising. Running its second year as a club, the World Vision club was created with the purpose of raising awareness to high school students about children living in poverty, and helping children in poverty to gain access to education, equal opportunities, and proper nutrition.

Its current president, Noa Noh, founded the World Vision during the fall of her sophomore year. After serving as a long-term missionary trip during her sophomore summer in Ecuador, and Mexico, Noa was inspired to create the club after having experienced the joy of helping children and their families. Throughout her missionary trip at Ecuador Noa was exposed to the world problems faced by families living in poverty and the limited amount of resources exposed to children, such as textbooks, and educational materials; and with this vision, she became motivated to share her passion with others.

Every second Tuesday of the month, members meet in room 253 during lunch to receive updated information about fundraisers or events that members can attend for volunteer service hours that will impact them throughout the school year as well college applications. Throughout each school year, club members contribute their time and effort in various club fundraisers and events to raise money to send to the World Vision organization. Last year, the World Vision club ran a successful fundraiser after partnering with the World’s Finest Chocolate Organization. The club made over $1000, which went toward helping children in developing countries. Aside from the successful World’s Finest Chocolate fundraiser, all the profit the club makes from restaurant fundraisers are donated to the World Vision organization. The club is planning to add more volunteering events that aid those in the community. The club is hoping to participate in the Operation Toy Drive, in which they will visit a children’s hospital to give gifts to the patients and spend time with them. This year, the club is planning a charity gala called the Pulsera Project with campus club UNICEF to donate towards work in countries with high unemployment and frequently tough working conditions. One of the biggest events the World Vision club is hoping to participate in is the Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children Project, which will help citizens of poor citizens gain access to medical supplies and support to prevent diseases from spreading and maintain a healthy community.