The Hidden Layer of Help which Video Games Offer

Photo by Tyler St. Amant

Photo by Tyler St. Amant

Tyler St. Amant, Staff Writer

At Chino Hills High, video games are a large and loud subculture that has shaped this campus indefinitely. Video games, in particular, seem to be the biggest hobby at our school, I decided to delve into the hobby myself, and find CHHS students favorite video games and why? As I walked around the campus and went into each of my classes I decided to ask a few students on what their favorite video games where, why, and what consoles do they play on. On my journey, I discovered during second period Edward Rugamas who is a video game fanatic. I asked Edward what his favorite game was, and he said he does not have a favorite game in particular; he enjoys playing Rainbow Six Siege, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, and Rocket League. His preferred method of playing is to play on PC, but he started out with consoles like the Wii and the Xbox. He says he got into video games and tech on a whole because his father is a software engineer, and he got Edward into the tech world that subsequently led to video games. Moreover, during the fourth period, I asked my fellow journalist Jacob Gutierrez; his favorite video game was Modern War 2. He loved this game specifically because of its “ gameplay and plot.” He said the story of this game helped him through his hard times, and that Modern Warfare 2 helped him relax and have fun. In closing, during six-period class, which is my Biology class, I asked Justin Bird, and Skyler Jones these questions as well. Justin Bird said he loves Clash of Clans and in general mobile games. Clash of Clans to Justin represents the perfect balance of strategy mixed with the fun and light gameplay, which the game is known for. Justin said he has played Clash of Clans for years now, and it “ only gets better with time.” Skyler Jones said his favorite game was NBA 2K, but unfortunately, I was unable to get an answer as to why this particular game is his favorite. However, I do know Skyler plays basketball, which combined with the actual good gameplay that the 2k games are known for might have been why? Justin also plays on an Xbox One and enjoys it deeply. Life is not just about academics and work; it is about having fun and enjoying life on a deeper level. Video games have fulfilled this quest and offered millions of people a chance to leave the harsh reality and escape into a world of whatever their choosing. So even though, many people have considered video games a bad habit that needs to be broken, video games have undoubtedly helped people on a whole. It has helped millions through their roughest patches and their best times. They have given the chance for sons to connect with their fathers, helped people forget about their problems and get a chance to relax, and have given people a daily ritual that enriches their life. So even though, many people have considered video games a bad habit that needs to be broken, video games help to simply make daily life just that more bearable for us all.