• Girl's Golf
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2

CHHS Girls Golf Team Undefeated

October 7, 2018

Photo by Mr. Misawa
L-R, Rebecca Soares, Grace Tran. Yuqing Zhang, Meghan McCluney, Catherine Li, Lelealani Holberg-Olsen, Hannah Hernandez, Mia Cueva, Noel Pinkus, Tiffany Yoo, Maya Desai

With the start of every new school year brings new team members into the Chino Hills High Girls Golf team. Lead by Mr. Misawa and their two golf captains, the girls work hard nearly every single day at the El Prado Golf Course near the school. Every Tuesday and Thursday is a game against other schools where the team gets to show off all the hard work they have put in thus far. The game of golf itself presents many challenges both physically and mentally. A few examples include: frustration, keeping patience, inaccuracy, walking the entire course, and even the small inconveniences like tan lines created from their uniform. Injuries are also extremely common and provide dangers that non-players may not take into consideration. A player must be aware at all times as to not get in the way of a stray ball or club. The game takes focus and dedication, which is why our team remains undefeated and victorious this year. Some, if not most, of the team’s players are heading to compete in the finals. If they continue their winning streak; however, the team may compete as a unit in the finals for a chance to emerge victorious yet again. Roughly a few games left in their season before it comes to an end. This leaves plenty of time left for the team to continue practicing and competing to make their way to the top. The team members have stated in an interview that they greatly enjoy each others company and their desire to improve. The positive energy in the group is what made them undefeated, even to this day.

The Girl’s Golf Team Playing at Their Very Best.

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

The Varsity Girl’s Golf team is the talk of the school, as their record remains undefeated. The team has really worked their way up from last year. They went from being second to last to first! Most of our star athletes got into golf with their parents’ influence, though they still love the game. The other girls on the team help to build each other up, making the camaraderie a favorite element of the sport. The team for this year clicked immediately, which could be a key to their success. The objective of the Girl’s Golf Team is to make it to CIF. Last year, only a select few of our Huskies made it to the first couple rounds. This year; however, they’d like to step up their game. If they stay undefeated and they keep working hard, then the entire team will make the first round of CIF. We cheer on our Huskies as they tirelessly train to achieve their goal.   Building strong bonds with peers isn’t the only benefit of golf. There are opportunities to get connected business wise through golf and will help these ladies with their future. Speaking of the future, many colleges offer scholarships to play golf, which could be a key reason for playing, though our Huskies have a passion for the game, as well. Compared to other high school sports, golf is more of a mental game, and does not require much physical contact. To the team, that’s a plus. The Girl’s Golf Team works so hard to be their very best. They play on Tuesdays and Thursdays if you ever want to come see what it’s all about. Let’s go Huskies!

Girls Golf Working Together to Get Their Winning Scores

The Girls Golf Team at Chino Hills High School is currently undefeated in the Baseline League, where they play among many other high schools from all over southern California. A lot of people usually assume that golf is a really easy sport, but it comes with tons of challenging obstacles. The girls practice every single day right after school and drive straight to the golf course. This sport involves family support as well as a strong mindset. The coach is Mr. Misawa who pushes and motivates them. Games are typically on Tuesdays and Thursdays while practices are four days a week. Before games, the team usually has team bonding at places such as Downtown Disney and the beach where they hang out and speak of their goals for the next game. All students on the girl’s golf team have above a 3.0 GPA. Since last year the team has made huge improvements as they have worked together to get the highest scores. Emma Tang, a freshman on the team usually hits in the score of the 30’s. The most challenging thing about golf is not getting upset when you don’t score the way you had wanted. The key is to come ready and prepared to work hard. The golf team is looking forward to attending CIF this year if they can continue to stay undefeated