The Howler

Venom: Goopy Mess or Ferocious Success?

https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl%2Fimages%2FNswCz7
https://goo.gl/images/NswCz7

https://goo.gl/images/NswCz7

https://goo.gl/images/NswCz7

Nicholas Grobecker, Staff Writer

Venom is Sony’s newest film directed by Ruben Fleischer and released October 5th. It is about Venom: the alien super villain featured in the Spiderman comics, movies, and television shows that form a symbiotic bond with the defamed journalist Eddie Brock. The movie takes on a new adaptation of the villain, making him into more of an anti-hero and giving him his own universe with others of his species without Spiderman. The cast features Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock and the voice of Venom, Michelle Williams as Eddie’s girlfriend, Anne Weying, and Riz Ahmed as the main villain Carlton Drake. While certain moments in the movie had certain issues with the pacing or moments of editing, the overall film was a pleasant experience full of action and a simple yet engaging story.

First, we should look at the flaws the film has. Certain sections of the movie had odd pacing that made certain scenes feel awkward. There is a scene where a truck is driving down a road in the forest and in the span of a few seconds the truck has crashed, and someone is walking out of the wreckage. The scene is clunky, and I wish that they spread it out longer, so the audience could digest what was happening on screen. On the opposite side of the spectrum, there is a scene where Eddie is riding on a motorcycle away from some trucks and explosive drones. While the scene is cool and makes great use of Eddie and Venom’s newly conceived powers, the scene felt like it took way too long, unlike later action scenes. Along with that, the way the film is edited can also make watching certain scenes hard to watch. There is a scene where Venom gets into an intense battle that is shot so close to the characters that the fast-paced scene is hard to keep up with.

While it may have these issues, there is much more to like about the film. The movie does a great job right at the beginning of setting up a conflict and building up the characters. While some view the first act of the film as very slow and boring, I thought that it was great that the film established who Eddie and who he knows am and how Eddie falls from being one of the most well-known reporters in Los Angeles to being some no life loser who lives in his run-down apartment eating tater tots. It gets the viewer attached to the character and shows that he has made a mistake and kind of deserves to be in the situation he is in. It then makes sense that he would find the life foundation where all these aliens are being held. When a scientist who wants to expose the research facility, she works with that holds these parasites for committing unethical experiments with them, Eddie has nothing left to lose and decides to help her. This sets up how Eddie bonds with the alien Venom, and the movie presents Eddie with a double-edged sword. Immediately after taking in Venom, he is doing all these crazy stunts like fighting armed guards with his bare hands and running at inhuman speeds. While gaining these powers, he also begins to grow very sick and gains an intense insatiable hunger, which sets up for some absolutely hilarious scenes. That is arguably the film’s strongest point: the comedy. Venom and Eddie work together throughout the movie in such a way that leaves you wanting much more of them. The other characters may be passable and merely served their purpose, but Eddie and Venom say things to each other that just seem bizarre to us as an audience but make sense in the context of the film.

Venom overall is a great guilty pleasure film. While it may have those pacing issues and a simplistic plot with just okay characters, the great action and the dialogue between Eddie and Venom make watching the film a great time. If I had to score the film, I objectively would have to give it about a six out of ten. It passes for what it needs to be, but there is so much room for improvement. Due to the fact that Sony plans to turn Venom into a trilogy series, it is realistic to believe that the next films could be better than the first. Sony made approximately $80 million on the opening weekend alone, so they are definitely going to make enough to have the next film outgrow the first.

About the Writer
Nicholas Grobecker, Staff Writer

Always having an appreciation for the arts, the beauty of nature, and the motivation to expand his knowledge of historical events, Nick Grobecker’s passion...

• Venom: Goopy Mess or Ferocious Success?

Arts

“This Is Us” and the Crew Behind It

Arts

Halloween on Netflix

Arts

Comedy Sportz Match

Arts

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” Recent Impact on Generation Z

News

Journalism, Avid, and Other Groups Honored at the Renaissance Rally

Student Life

Renaissance Rally Honors Students

Sports

CHHS Athletic Trainers Assisting the Athletes

Sports

Cross Country Girls Back to Back League CHAMPS! Girls and Boys Cross Country Off to CIF

OP-ED

The Fast Growing Hobby of Watching Anime and Reading Manga

Sports

One Big Cross Country Family

Venom: Goopy Mess or Ferocious Success?