• Cross country
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
Photos by Toni Ayala and Giselle Orozco

Photos by Toni Ayala and Giselle Orozco

Photos by Toni Ayala and Giselle Orozco

One Big Cross Country Family

November 6, 2018

For our Varsity Cross Country runners on campus, nothing is better than the exhilaration they feel when finishing a race. Our boys and girls Varsity Cross Country Teams are one big family. They build each other up, train together, and make some of the most lasting memories of high school together. Speaking of training, it takes large doses of self-discipline and motivation to get where they are today. Specifically, the team runs every day of the week, except on Sundays. Weekday runs typically consist of the Chino Hills trails, the mileage spanning anywhere from 6 to 8 miles. That’s just the usual! On longer weekend runs and special trips, they can add from 12 to 13 miles in a single run! The team is divided into four groups (A, B, C, and D) based on their times. So why and how do they put themselves through every lengthy run through the California heat? A large sum of the team shares similar reasons as to why they run. The “ why” in this case would be the people they run with. They run the outrageous trails to build bonds and lasting friendships. Another reason being that the team finds satisfaction in pushing themselves to be better. They find Cross Country to be a mental and physical challenge that stimulates their brains and bodily muscles. As for how they manage school, extra- curricular, and running at least 6 miles a day, is a mystery to us all. They insist that they are constantly in need of fuel and water and are always craving a nap. Any individual on the team might tell you the motivating energy of the team itself is what keeps them going. Not only does the team support each other, but also by never giving up, each individual contributes to motivating someone else. The drive comes from within to keep going no matter what the destination. They are constantly discovering how to push themselves and be a better runner. We will continue to cheer on our highly motivated running Huskies as they take on opponents from several schools in each league race. Let’s Go Huskies!

CHHS Cross Country CIF Bound

Jacqui Duarte

Jacqui Duarte

Cross country is one of Chino Hills High’s well-known sports on campus. The team consists of boys and girls from all four grades. They are divided into groups, A, B, C, and D based on ability and how fast they can run. They admit that they don’t necessarily enjoy running all the time, especially because they practice every day but Sunday. Running takes up a lot of their time, and the team says it can be difficult to keep up with school. It is important to have discipline when being on the cross-country team because of how much effort it takes. The team runs about 6 miles per practice and runs different routes every day around Chino Hills. When asked what they would recommend to new cross country runners, they say being motivated and having good running shoes is important. New shoes are needed every five to six weeks because of how often they run. Everyone on the team says that running has made them a better person by improving their physical and mental strength. They know running can be difficult, but practicing every day has built up discipline and strong work ethic. As a whole, the group says that running together so often works as team building. However, they do hang out outside of school when they have the time, but not necessarily with everyone on the team. The girls and boys cross country team have worked hard this year and are headed to CIF.

Cross Country

Here at Chino Hills High School we have many talented teams. One of them is our cross country team. The coach of our cross country team is Coach Bergman. The goal of the team is to grow and do better each race. They run all over Chino Hills for practice six days a week and have Sundays off. In practice they run six to eight miles on average, some days they run further up to 13 -15 miles. What helps them benefit from cross country running is that it helps you gain mental strength. The team’s favorite place to run is at Mount Sac. and something new about this season is that there are more people on the team. The team likes to run for the school because they like making new friends. Something you need when running cross country is self-discipline, and you also find out you can get your body to do things you didn’t know you could do. The biggest rivals of our Chino Hills cross country team is Etiwanda, joining cross country can help you have good health and benefits for yourself.