The Howler

The Fast Growing Hobby of Watching Anime and Reading Manga

Tyler StAmant, Staff Writer

Om Angarkar the fourteen-year-old freshman at Chino Hills High is a man who enjoys many things in his personal life. Om’s personal favorite hobby is reading the manga and watching anime. Om, in particular, loves the anime and mangas of Hunter Hunter, Attack on Titan, and My Hero Academia. He loves Hunter Hunter because of the fantastic art, opening credits, and storyline. In particular, he likes watching the show on school days and binging it until four o’clock in the morning because this allows him to truly understand the plot, as he actually has to strive to pay attention to the show and not just allow it to slip his mind. Moreover, Attack on Titan gives Om a better understanding of human nature. He believes that all of the nuances in the show containing Titans (which are the giant humanlike monsters) explore and illustrate “ the deep crevices and deep wrong that remains in us all” as Om put it. Now, Om has been able to collect such fascinating and unique hobbies because of him finding Reddit and anime as a young child. Otaku’s and Weeaboos are people who are obsessed or deeply involved with Japanese culture when they are not Japanese. Most of these people enjoy this culture because of how different it is from our own western culture. Also, because the art that characterizes Japanese style is so utterly different and new to most people it can envelop people’s lives. The most common form of art people like is anime and manga, which correspondingly Om loves as well. Exactly like the western culture, there is romance, and action animes and mangas, and people from all over the globe love reading, watching, and in general just experiencing this unique culture. This interesting hobby or as some put it, lifestyle, has caught on around our beloved school. Not only do I hear conversations about the latest of an episode of an anime, in preparation for the article I tried to count the times I saw people reading or holding manga and or talking about anime. I found an astounding 43 individuals partaking in these activities. Now keep in mind this was just my personal experience, so while our school has almost 3,000 students 43 seems small. I may have also missed or not remembered a couple of individuals because of basic human error. Equally important, when asking certain students that do not want to be named they said that they have seen and heard people discussing anime or manga all the time, and how it is getting “absolutely ridiculous.” Ultimately, this unique hobby is growing slowly each day around our school and in general the world, and I’m sure it is starting to become a major part of people’s daily life like it is for Om.

• The Fast Growing Hobby of Watching Anime and Reading Manga

OP-ED

“Tourism Day”

OP-ED

The Events at Lunch That Hyped Up Homecoming

OP-ED

Should School Start Later?

OP-ED

The Hidden Layer of Help which Video Games Offer

OP-ED

Is Taking Five AP Classes Too Much?

OP-ED

Best of Both Worlds

News

Journalism, Avid, and Other Groups Honored at the Renaissance Rally

Student Life

Renaissance Rally Honors Students

Sports

CHHS Athletic Trainers Assisting the Athletes

Sports

Cross Country Girls Back to Back League CHAMPS! Girls and Boys Cross Country Off to CIF