Marching Season Comes To An End

Marching Season Comes To An End

Photos by Lainie Gomez

Photos by Lainie Gomez

Photos by Lainie Gomez

Photos by Lainie Gomez

Lainie Gomez, Staff Writer

It happens every single year; the members of the CHHS marching band come to school and step onto the field filled with determination and hope as they begin their final day of marching band. For many, it is an extremely emotional day as students recall the season’s events and the memories, friends, and accomplishments they made throughout the hard months spent together. November 17th, 2018 was our marching band’s very last day of marching and performing until next year’s season. Although it ended on a good note, the day’s events were unexpected by the entirety of the band. The original plan was to compete in the Western Band Association Championship Competition that took place in Bakersfield, California. This was an extremely anticipated trip that had the band as whole excited and motivated to perform. However, on that very morning, the Western Band Association had canceled the competition due to the wildfires and poor air quality in Bakersfield. Nearly all members of the band were devastated and pessimistic about their final day. Quickly, an impromptu performance was booked and our band once again had reason to practice that morning. At roughly 3:45 pm that same day, our marching band had performed their show “Between the Keys” for the last time at Rowland High School as part of an exhibition alongside twelve other bands both in and out of our district. Despite not, ending the season with a score and a trophy the marching band members were overall satisfied and happy about their final day. Many were celebrating and congratulating each other on their hard work put in throughout the season. The members themselves can mutually agree that although the end of the season was not what they expected, it still captured the hopefulness and optimism of the past six months of the marching band.