The Howler

Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 1

Allison Ihde, Staff Writer

“Marla, don’t you love the smell of apocalypse in the morning?” Asked Chad who was all too chirpy for having spent the night in a high school gym. They looked around at all their fellow high school students that congregated in makeshift sleeping bags on the gym floor; the safest place for everyone since going home wasn’t an option.

“How can you be sarcastic at a time like this?” Marla scoffed, checking her phone for any word from her parents.

“Chill out, we don’t even know the whole story yet. For all we know, this could be a very elaborate prank,” Chad insisted as he stood and stretched. All they’d been told is that a chemical plant on the outskirts of town had a freak accident. A careless spill of a fatal government secret led to the contamination of the town’s reservoir. Conveniently enough, nobody said anything until after the entire chemical plant exploded. The explosion released a great deal of this chemical into the air supply, also. The city’s own mayor and everyone on the west side of town were instantly turned into grotesque lizard creatures. Zombies that roamed the streets with scales covering their skin glassed over eyes, and dragging feet. There was no way to tell how dangerous these monsters were. Too scared to dismiss anyone for fear they’d too become the vile creatures; Marla and Chad’s entire high school was on lock down. Makeshift beds were made from old gym mats and the lunch ladies handed out helpings of breakfast to teens with stomachs full of fear. Suddenly, there was a harsh pounding on the doors of the gym. Marla was already on her feet, and administered a swift kick to Lizzie, her best friend who was still snoring away. She’d get over it, Marla thought. She helped Lizzie up, still groggy from sleep, and they headed toward the back end of the gym.

“ Now, everyone remain calm, it’s probably just a student who thought it’d be funny to prank us all,” the principal tried to shout over the panic of the students. BANG. BANG. BANG. The pounding was insistent now, showing no sign of stopping. Students started to make their way towards the exit on the opposite side of the gym. All except Principal Davis. “That’s it,” he muttered and swiftly opened the door, ready to give a stern scolding to whoever pulled a stunt like that. Instead, he was greeted by at least 30 creatures that stampeded and surrounded him. They scratched at his face, tried to bite him and showed no signs of hindrance at Davis’ flailing arms. By this point, the students are in shambles. Everyone charged the exit, never once looking back at their principal. Marla and Lizzie linked arms and had to shove their way out of the doorway into the brisk November morning. They didn’t stop running until they reached the first open door they came to, which happened to be Marla’s English class.

“ We have to get out of here! We’re not safe,” breathed Lizzie, who hadn’t quite caught her footing since waking up. Before Marla could even nod her head, something came ramming into them. Upon further examination, it was not a vile creature, but that sarcastic kid from the gym. Chad. He and his accomplice were the next crashers out of the gym that had the bright idea to follow the two girls. Chad and company ended up sprawled on the carpeted floor.

About the Writer
Allison Ihde, Staff Writer

Allison is a freshman who joined journalism this year because she enjoys writing very much. She is very smart, kind, and approachable. She is fun and outgoing,...

• Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 1

Fiction Story Section

Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 2

Fiction Story Section

Fiction Story: A Surprise Holiday Visit

OP-ED

Fortnite: The Epidemic is Taking Over

OP-ED

Dating, is it Worth it in High School?

Howler Spread

Allegiance to Wrestling

Husky Nation

Husky Nation 31

Student Life

AVID Juniors Take on San Francisco

OP-ED

My Last Renaissance Rally

Sports

Chino Hills High Baseball

Student Life

AP Classes at CHHS