The Howler

Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 2

Allison Ihde, Staff Writer

“What’s our plan? I say we need weapons. I don’t like the idea of throat punching a zombie-lizard-thing ‘cause we didn’t at least get a bat,” interjected Chad, who’d recovered from his dramatic entrance to the classroom.

“Who are you again?” Asked Lizzie but nodded in agreement with his idea.

“I’m Chad Levington, football extraordinaire, professional heartbreaker. At your service, madam,” he stuck out his hand and winked at Lizzie. She rolled her eyes. “ And this is my bro, Evan. He, too, is a big hit with the ladies,” Chad clapped Evan on the back, and he wavered under the pressure.

“But back to the crisis at hand, please?” Interjected Marla, “I agree. We need something to defend ourselves, but aren’t you guys curious about how to stop this?” The realization of their situation settled in like the chemical clouds in the sky. No parents, no principal, and nearly all students M.I.A. Time seemed to stop as they brainstormed their options. After much deliberation, the group decided to take Chad’s car and drive to the Costco that was just a few minutes into town. They’d try not to breath too much, for fear the chemical would still turn them. It wasn’t a surprise to find no one on the streets. They all seemed to roam together as one big pack of grotesque zombies lurking the city in search of…what? This question plagued Marla’s mind as they set off with shirts covering their noses into the large wholesale building.

They walked through, grabbing anything that might protect them if they encountered the zombies. Extra sweaters and jackets, snacks, camping supplies, and other like items were stuffed into hiking backpacks they found. Costco had been their established home base. They gathered pillows and extra blankets and piled them to a makeshift fort to mark as theirs. If anything got out of hand and they couldn’t get out of town, they’d stay here for protection. Much to Chad’s dismay, he didn’t find his desired weapon selection here. Rather than improvising, Chad insisted on driving around more until he at least found a sporting goods store where he could get a bat. Now, no amount of negotiating could convince Chad that driving further into a zombie-infested town was a bad idea. They drove down Reagan Avenue, searching for any news station that was still up and running, but found only static. Chad stopped the car in front of a Big 5 off Reagan and jumped out. Reluctantly, the other three followed, trailing quickly through the deserted parking lot. Ten minutes later Chad settled on a black, wooden baseball bat. He urged the rest of them to pick out a weapon and more camping supplies. Hands full of baseball bats, a few pocketknives, and a lone football helmet that Chad picked up (“ Hey, you never know when I’ll need to show off my extreme skills”). Next step, trying to put a stop to the lizard people.

About the Writer
Allison Ihde, Staff Writer

Allison is a freshman who joined journalism this year because she enjoys writing very much. She is very smart, kind, and approachable. She is fun and outgoing,...

• Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 2

Fiction Story Section

Fiction Story: Keeping Up with the Apocalypse, Part 1

Fiction Story Section

Fiction Story: A Surprise Holiday Visit

OP-ED

Fortnite: The Epidemic is Taking Over

OP-ED

Dating, is it Worth it in High School?

Howler Spread

Allegiance to Wrestling

Husky Nation

Husky Nation 31

Student Life

AVID Juniors Take on San Francisco

OP-ED

My Last Renaissance Rally

Sports

Chino Hills High Baseball

Student Life

AP Classes at CHHS