Band Competition Season is Here!

Band Competition Season is Here!

Chino Hills High jazz band practices for their first band competition at Mayfair High School in Lakewood, California.

Lainie Gomez

Lainie Gomez

Lainie Gomez

Lainie Gomez, Staff Writer

Attention all jazz and music lovers, competition season is here! On February 22nd, our very own Chino Hills High jazz bands will be competing and performing in their first band competition at Mayfair High School in Lakewood, California. As it is the bands’ first competition of the season, the young musicians from both jazz bands have been practicing diligently every week to start the competition season strong.  Lead by our school’s band director, Mr. Steve Krumbine, the two jazz bands will be playing a selection of songs and showing off the talents of the CHHS band program as a whole. The first band to perform, Jazz 1, will be playing four songs, including “Running With Scissors” by Gordon Goodwin and “Bugle Call Rag” by Buddy Rich. The second band to follow, appropriately named Jazz 2 will be playing five songs, including “There Will Never Be Another You” and “Big Bad Boogie.” Both jazz bands will compete against a range of other high schools and musical groups while in Mayfair. As far as practices, both groups have been practicing and performing excellently and are, without a doubt, ready to perform against the other participating schools. Jazz 1 has completed their initial set up and is now simply perfecting the finer details of their music. Jazz 2 is slightly behind their predecessors, but are still making immense progress and will be ready in no time to also perfect the finer details of their music. The practices are held on Tuesdays for Jazz 2 and on Thursdays for Jazz 1, both from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm. In addition to this, both bands practice their music during school hours in their second-period band class. With just a little over a week left until the day of the competition, both jazz bands are practicing more earnestly and intensely than ever to be ready for the competition. Go Huskies!