The Howler

Earphones… Now AirPods!

Students find it easier to listen to their music while doing classwork with wireless AirPods

Photo by Noa Noh

Noa Noh, Co-Editor in Chief

Technology is steadily advancing throughout the past decades, placing its influence upon many fields, in particular, the classroom. This has been beneficial in promoting the growth of education, such as classroom supplies, class projectors, and even class set laptops. However, the issue of capturing the attention of students away from the distractions that technology; unfortunately, holds and has to offer is becoming a growing issue in today’s classroom setting and students learning.

Most students on campus may be striving to achieve perfect grades, maintain a stellar social life, and to keep up with the latest trends by choosing between becoming overwhelmed by the distractions of technology that is portable to anyone from one’s smartphone with a simple swipe or tap. The simple act of putting on earphones shuts out all the noises and information from the outside world around them, causing the student to ignore everything that is going on in the classroom. So, with the newly released wireless and cord-free AirPods gaining popularity among students on campus, there are higher chances of distractions in the classroom setting of students choosing to use them during class time. Since AirPods are very small and hard to see in the ear, especially when a student is covering their AirPods with a hoodie, cap or their hair, and their phone in their pocket or backpack thus causing a bigger problem for teachers to fix. Although AirPods are beneficial to students who wish to enjoy their music any time during the day, they can become a nuisance to teachers who work hard to retain their student’s attention and academic performance. All in all, students must take into consideration both sides of the effects of wearing AirPods in the classroom setting, because it is ultimately the student’s responsibility and choice whether they want their academic performance to become affected by such distractions.

About the Writer
Noa Noh, Co Editor in Chief

Noa Noh is a junior who has been in journalism since freshman year. Born in Illinois, she decided to take journalism so she could get the chance to write...

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

Fortnite: The Epidemic is Taking Over

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

Dating, is it Worth it in High School?

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

My Last Renaissance Rally

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

“Should I Take the SAT?”

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

AP Night: What Does it All Mean?

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

Arts

Movies That I’m Excited About This Year

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

Arts

2018 Most Popular Movies

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

Are You Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions?

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

The College Application Experience

• Earphones… Now AirPods!

OP-ED

The Fast Growing Hobby of Watching Anime and Reading Manga

Earphones… Now AirPods!