The Howler

Chino Hills High Wrestling is a Sport of Determination

“A friend told me to join, so I did. But, I stayed because of all the friends I made after.” -Abdulla Chams-Bacha

Photo by Chams-Bacha

Photo by Chams-Bacha

Photo by Chams-Bacha

Om Angarkar, Staff Writer

Wrestling is a sport in Chino Hills High School that is very underappreciated for its grit. Coach Cote and his team of soldiers are ready for action, on the mat that is. This hardworking team is often shadowed by the large and dominant football and basketball teams, yet wrestling is as hard or even harder than both teams. The camaraderie that fellow team-members have towards each other signifies trust and loyalty towards wrestling. Although the sport requires a lot of endurance and strength, the first step towards being a good wrestler is determination.

When asked why he joined wrestling, Abdulla Chams-Bacha, a junior, answered, “A friend told me to join, so I did. But, I stayed because of all the friends I made after.”

The schedule of a wrestler is not easy. After school, it’s straight to the wrestling room. Fifteen minutes is all it takes to talk to your friends and change. When those 15 minutes pass, however, its wrestling time. A little warm-up to wake up, and its either learning moves for Varsity or heading to the gym for JV. A tiring workout later for the JV’s, it’s running time. It’s two laps around the school, or what they call, “Husky Runs.” Coming back, the JV and Varsity switch up, and it’s wrestling time for JV now while Varsity suffers. After Varsity comes back from their Husky Runs, it’s time to put all that the students learned to the test. First, find a partner; second, wrestle them until the coach gets satisfied. All your frustrations about school can be unleashed on your partner with some Hi-C’s (the wrestling move, not the juice) and finish them off with a half, driving it down until you get the pin.

Wrestling may sound hard, but it’s also a haven for finding friendships that would stick with you. The atmosphere on the mat is very welcoming (and a little sweaty) and you will be enjoying yourself while you’re taking down all your opponents and getting all those medals.

About the Writer
Om Angarkar, Staff Writer

Om Angarkar is a freshman at Chino Hills High who was born on May 4, 2004, in Massachusetts. He, in particular, loves America and writing for the school...

• Chino Hills High Wrestling is a Sport of Determination

Husky Nation

Jacqueline Duarte CIF Champion!

Howler Spread

Allegiance to Wrestling

Sports

Chino Hills High Baseball

News

Boys Varsity Basketball Back to Back CIF State Champions!

Sports

Boys Varsity Basketball Get Ready to Defend State Title

• Sports

CHHS Softball is Ready for New Season

Sports

An Interview with the Boys Varsity Basketball Team

Sports

CHHS Girl’s Basketball and Soccer Teams End With Outstanding Seasons

Sports

Boys Basketball Heads to CIF Finals

Sports

Varsity Basketball Continues Their Streak