AVID Juniors Take on San Francisco

AVID Juniors Take on San Francisco

Julian Lothyan, Melissa Alvarez, Stephanie Ramirez, Reagan Lopez, Kirsten Lopez, Alyssa Gordon, Chloe Corbin, Brienna Goodspeed, Amber Hernandez

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Writer

Junior year is a pivotal point in many students’ high school careers, with AP classes, and college in less than two years. Students in the AVID program share a common goal of going to college and have dedicated their four years in high school to the class. Every year, the junior class goes to San Francisco to visit colleges and take tours of the college campuses. This year, the class visited five colleges, including Cal State University Monterey Bay, San Francisco State University, University of San Francisco, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State University. Each university was unique in their own way so students could see what college life is like on different campuses. Most students agreed that UC Berkeley was their favorite because of the food at the cafeteria, but also because it has many stores around campus. While the majority of the time spent in Northern California consisted of touring college campuses, AVID also visited common tourist spots in the Bay Area. After visiting CSUMB, the class visited Cannery Row and ate dinner at a pizza place close by. The next day was spent touring SFSU and USF, as well as Fisherman’s Wharf in the late afternoon. Even though the day was already filled with walking and college tours, the group was looking forward to spending time on their own with friends at the pier. The final day consisted of two university tours on the way back home, featuring guides that were CHHS alumni. The San Francisco trip was an eventful experience for all juniors in attendance and gave them further insight into what is in their near future.