• CHHS Wrestling
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2

Allegiance to Wrestling

March 18, 2019

Allegiance to Wrestling

James Gomez, Nikolas Ibanez, Sebastian Hernandez, Oscar Barajas, Ethan Burgueno, Nathan Kneubuhler

Wrestling is a sport in Chino Hills High School that is very underappreciated for their grit. Coach Cote and his team of wrestlers are ready for action, on the mat that is. This hardworking team is often shadowed by the large and dominant football and basketball teams, yet wrestling is as hard or even harder than both. The camaraderie that fellow team-members have towards each other got them significant medals in the CIFs. Although the sport requires a lot of endurance and strength, the first step to being a good wrestler is determination.
The schedule of a wrestler is not easy. After school, it’s straight to the wrestling room. Fifteen minutes is all it takes to talk to your friends and change. When those 15 minutes pass, however, its wrestling time. A little warm-up to wake up, and its either learning moves for Varsity or heading to the gym for JV. A tiring workout later for the JV’s, it’s running time. Its two laps around the school, or what they call, “Husky Runs.” Coming back, the JV and Varsity switch up, and its wrestling time for JV now while Varsity suffers. After Varsity comes back from their Husky Runs, it’s time to put all that the students learned to the test. First, find a partner, second, wrestle them until the coach gets satisfied. All your frustrations about the day can be unleashed on your partner with some Hi-C’s (the wrestling move, not the juice) and finished them off with a half, driving it down until you get the pin.
The multiple sacrifices that you must take for achieving greatness include extreme diets and two-and-a-half hours of torment and torture. Many of the Varsity-level wrestlers sometimes dream of food while they’re sleeping. The suffering is real – and so is the feeling of success. The hard training that the wrestlers must endure will pay off through pinning down your opponent in the third round, claiming your comparative strength to be higher than your opponent’s. Pain is only temporary, what’s permanent is the outcome of that pain, whether that be a failure or success.
As you can see, wrestling may sound hard, but it’s also a haven for finding friendships that would stick with you. The atmosphere on the mat is very welcoming (and a little sweaty) and you will be enjoying yourself while you’re taking down all your opponents and getting all those medals.

An Interview with the CHHS Wrestling Team

The Howler interview - James Gomez, Sebastian Hernandez, Nikolas Ibanez, Oscar Barajas, Ethan Burgueno, Nathan Kneubuhler

When talking about the CHHS Wrestling team, it was described to the Howler as being incredibly competitive and intense. Unless something unusual happens, you are going head to head with only one other person, making it stand out from other sports. This creates a nerve-wracking environment where it is all on you. The players like this though, due to the sense of responsibility it gives them. Coach Cote helps to create this competitive mood and holds them up to their intense schedule. The team practices every day except for Sundays. The players state that this schedule is very hard to work around and leads to complications in their eating, homework, and sleep. Some fall asleep the second after practice, while others gorge on food immediately after the season. Almost everyone has to rush to find time for homework. Due to these complications, most players plan to not continue wrestling after high school, but that isn’t to say that they don’t appreciate it. For them, it all starts off with either a friend or a family member, and then it blossoms from there. They say that if it weren’t for wrestling, they would never be able to have all these fond memories of their fellow wrestlers. They do however plan to work harder in order to enjoy the last few years they have with the team. If you were to want to participate in wrestling, they would want you to keep in mind the competitiveness of it as well as the dedication needed to do well. I for one know that I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of their vast might!

Boys Varsity Wrestling

Boys Varsity Wrestling

Back row - Nathan Kneubuhler, Isaac Moran, James Gomez, Middle - Oscar Barajas, Nikolas Ibanez, Davis Kim, Front - Tristan Riker, Ethan Burgueno, Lorenzo Diaz

The Chino Hills High school boys wrestling team had a lot more to say than expected about their whole wrestling experience. It’s a love-hate relationship with the sport. Scholastic wrestling is regulated by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Each state high school association has adopted its wrestling rules, with each making some modifications. Every high school is expected to practice wrestling at two levels: varsity and junior varsity, although wrestling at the freshmen (ninth grade) level is becoming more widespread. The NFHS generally sets the standard for weight classes for high school-level dual meets, multiple duals, and tournaments. Most of the team explained their biggest accomplishments throughout the years and what they placed in league and CIF this year. The worst thing about it is that they all plan on quitting wrestling after high school. Apart from that, they hardly eat during the season. They say as soon as it ends, they eat “almost everything.” Some of them even said during class, they daydream about eating food. That is super unhealthy, although, they say it is necessary to be a real competitor on the mat. “Why wrestling,” one reporter asked, all of them quoted, “It prepares you for life if you lose you lose.”