District Honor Band Concert

District Honor Band Concert

Lainie Gomez, Staff Writer

On February 12, 2019, was our district’s annual honor band performance. This hour-long performance is hosted by band directors from schools all around the district and is made possible by the talented middle and high school musicians. The show began at 7:00 pm with a $5 admission fee. Once the doors opened at 6:30, people of all ages filled the theater of Chino Hills High and took their seats to watch the show begin. The middle schoolers on stage began to rehearse as audiences entered. Soon enough the performers were ready and the show began with an introduction to the song “Kentucky 1800” by Clare Grundman. Three more songs were performed after that, each one conducted by a different director from the district. Our very own band director, Mr. Krumbine, conducted the well-known song “Remember Me” from the Pixar movie Coco and composed by Michael Giacchino. After the songs concluded, the middle schoolers exited the stage to allow for a brief intermission and to allow the high schoolers to take the stage. The lights were again dimmed and the show began with the guidance of guest Dr. Gregory X. Whitmore as their conductor. The ensemble performed four songs as well including pieces such as “The Machine Awakes” by Steven Bryant and “Rippling Watercolors” by Brian Balmages. Unexpectedly, there were technical difficulties that occurred during the song composed by Steven Bryant due to its electronic accompaniment. So, the audience was treated to another performance of “The Machine Awakes” with the full effect of its music. By the end of the night, audiences were cheering and clapping with enthusiasm; congratulating the young musicians. The concert was agreeably one to remember until next year’s honor band performance.