Hairspray The Musical 

Hairspray The Musical 

Lydia Kelly, Staff Writer

The Chino Hills High Theatre Department will be presenting “Hairspray” at the end of April and the beginning of May. This musical is very different from past productions because auditions for this production were open to all CHHS students. The director, Mrs. Rupe is very excited at all of the hard work she is seeing put in so far on this production as it has been several years since she has directed the musical “Hairspray” at Chino Hills High School. “Hairspray” is a musical set in the 1960’s streets of Baltimore, Maryland and follows the story of a young girl’s named Tracy Turnblad and her dream to dance on The Corny Collins Show. She ends up earning a spot on the show but is quickly motivated to be an activist in standing up for the discrimination that was being held against black people at the time. It shows how society has influenced supporting and opposing views for racial integration within the United States during this era. It shows the competitive side to be a dancer and all the challenges that come with it for not only Tracy but the entire community. The theatre program knew that they wanted to find dancers, singers, and actors that would be able to really dig deeper and truly feel their characters that they are portraying in the play. The cast encourages people of all ages to check out what is sure to be a great show!