CHHS Dance Team National Champions Yet Again!

Dance team performs at the rally their winning combined Hip - Hop Dance for the students

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Lanie Gomez, Staff Writer

Once again, our dance team concluded their season brandishing the title of “USA Nationals Champions”. According to the dance team members, This season broke their expectations and turned out so much better than they could have guessed. With the help of their dedicated coaches both on and off of campus, the dancers were able to compete in and win the USA National Championship and come home happier than ever. Although they may make it look easy and simple, dancing is an extremely demanding physical activity that requires a tremendous amount of dedication, passion, and strength: both physically and mentally. When competitions or practices got rough, the members would turn to each other for inspiration and motivation to push through and perform better than they had in the past. The team is extremely close and consider themselves a family, especially considering all the hardships and long days they endure together. For the seniors that are leaving this year, they will miss sharing the stage and performing together the most. It is a very emotional experience for the seniors who will move on to college and, for some, end their dancing career. The countless hurdles, pep talks and cheers that the team traditionally does before each performance only makes saying “goodbye” so much harder. Nevertheless, the team competed in a variety of categories this season and came out victorious. Some categories included Jazz, Hip-Hop, and Contemporary, which has both individual and group dance categories. This year, our school competed and won first place in the combined boys and girls Hip Hop category for the first time in our school’s history. Now with a win this year they have stated that combined Hip Hop category will most likely be continued throughout the years to come. This team disproves any misconceptions outsiders may make about dancing and perfectly demonstrates how hard they work and yet how rewarding the art of dance is.