• PBIS
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4

Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports, PBIS

July 17, 2019

With new changes coming to Chino Hills High School next year like the new principal coming in, the school has recently started a movement to promote Husky pride in the student body. This new movement has been referred to as PBIS, the four “be’s” around campus. The four “be’s” are, be safe, be respectful, be responsible, and be ready to learn. At the end of the last school year, administration walked around and asked the students how they feel about Husky spirit. Students were asked between classes and during lunch specifically in Center Ice about Husky pride and how they show it. Teachers like Ms. Vivanco, Ms. Chiotti, and members of the administration and counseling asked students different questions about being a Husky throughout the school day. While a poster demonstrating the four “be’s” has been put up in every classroom around campus, for the most part, many students still are not aware of the movement. As it is the end of the school year and it can be difficult to engage all students it is important for those returning to CHHS next year to know how to show Husky pride. Showing school spirit does not have to be loud and obnoxious, just by knowing the four “be’s” students can demonstrate that they care about the school and want the campus to thrive. The four “be’s” are just a step in the direction of encompassing the whole school in at least acknowledging school spirit. If students recognize a school-wide movement, they are more likely to want to participate in activities and go to school events. High school can be tiring but entering a campus that has positive energy, productive students, and reliable staff can make the school day a more positive learning environment.

Be Responsible – What it means to be a Responsible Student

This shows how a responsible student would throw his trash

Photo by: Tyler St.Amant

Photo by: Tyler St.Amant

Photo by: Tyler St.Amant

Students at Chino Hills High School on the first day of school were introduced to the four B’s. Be safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be Ready to Learn. These are effectively our main guidelines of the school and Be Responsible is the one I found the most intriguing. Being responsible is integral to not only being a good student but a good person. Now being responsible as a student is very similar to being responsible as a good person. You know being accountable, and liable for the things you do, and always doing what you promise. But being a responsible student means adding a few extra things to that list. Now when I asked people what these responsibilities were I got a few very interesting responses. Tatiana Montejano said all it means to be a reasonable student is to “show up on time.” Now, this is definitely a major part of being a responsible student, but it definitely is not all it means. Julie Anne Nguyen said it is “meeting deadlines, and being prepared for class consistently.” This is definitely a much better response or a response that is basic but there is more to being a responsible student.

Now, responsible is all of those things that were mentioned before, but it is also being truthful, because if one is not truthful one is not liable, keeping the bathroom clean, not vandalizing, follow the bell schedule, not cheating, listen to teachers and other students, take all your needed materials to school, and even more of what we have been taught. Now listening to a teacher is so highly important because when you listen to teachers you learn, thus you are being responsible as you care about your education which is one way that shows that you care about your future. And following everything else on the list shows it as well. But the one main point that is integral to being responsible is that you must be liable, and to be liable means that you do what you say you will and will own up to your wrongs and be accountable. If you are not liable you cannot be responsible. If you do not admit your mistakes or do your work in a group project, or if you cheated on a test, or you did not bring your supplies to class you were not liable. Students must be liable for what they do, to be liable means to be a responsible student. Even if it is extremely hard to always do what you say and keep your promises, we must do it because we must be responsible.

You may ask why, why should we be responsible, it does not actively affect you if you are not. Yet, it does because if you are not responsible not only will a lot of people stop trusting you, but you will learn and gain nothing from school. If you cheat on every test and never study or listen, you will have wasted seven hours of your day, every day for almost thirteen years, because the one major reason that we come to school is to learn of course. And in order to learn, students must be responsible.

PBIS – “Be Safe”

PBIS – “Be Safe”

You should never be fighting in a classroom, you need to stay safe by keeping yourself physically safe and remembering that school is not a fighting zone!

Noa Noh

Noa Noh

Noa Noh

As a student, it is so often that we become deeply immersed in our commitment to succeed in our academic studies, to participate in extracurricular activities, and to spend as much time amongst our peers that we forget about one of the most crucial responsibilities: remembering to be safe. Being safe means that students should keep themselves and those around them in a safe environment by avoiding to bring about any forms of harm. Understanding what it means to be safe on campus is the first step to “be safe”. For example, using materials and equipment appropriate for their use, staying on the correct side when walking through the hallways or stairs, and always keeping hands, feet, and objects to yourself. Along with the basic rules of safety, students must always remember that school should be an enjoyable learning environment for everyone. Which means that all forms of bullying: verbal, social, or physical, should be prevented.

The 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System Exit disclaimer icon (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) indicates that, nationwide, 19% of students in grades 9–12 report being bullied on school property in the 12 months preceding the survey. Bullying can occur anywhere- in the locker room, on the computer, or on a cell phone. And bullying decreases a student’s sense of security at school. Knowing the different forms as well as knowing how to respond to bullying is important to be safe at school or anywhere. If you are being bullied or feel as though you do not feel secure, make sure to let a teacher or counselor know about the situation because that is what they are here for and make sure that you surround yourself with a group of people that make you feel safe.

Essentially, being safe cannot be achieved if students are not willing to bring about an environment that promotes safety and learning. So, in order to achieve an environment where students feel safe and comfortable, students must actively participate in spreading the message around campus that being safe is the most important factor to keep in mind at all times. Remembering to be safe is important, but actively behaving in ways to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you should be the main goal of students and the administration of Chino Hills High School. As we move on to the upcoming school year, we must remember to be safe!

PBIS -Be Ready to Learn

Photo by Allison Ihde

Photo by Allison Ihde

Photo by Allison Ihde

PBIS -Be Ready to Learn

At Chino Hills High School, we have an initiative PBIS, that shows our collective school’s Husky Pride! Specifically, in the classroom, a vital aspect of this initiative is getting students to “Be Ready to Learn”! Studies by the American Psychological Association show that 83% of US teens are stressed about school.  Too much stress for teenagers takes a massive toll on their overall health.  In turn, this can affect eating habits, sleep schedules, and a sensitive, growing teen mind.  This leads to roughly 30% of teens feeling sad or depressed, due to the overwhelming stress of school.  Our “Be Ready to Learn” initiative is tuned in to help students reduce these stresses by promoting proactive classroom behavior.  However, before students enter the classroom, they must be well rested to have the best chance of performing well at school.  It may not seem this way to students, but a good night’s rest is a healthful habit that will also improve other areas of life.  In feeling more rested, the urge to overeat is reduced and students are less irritable.  At least 8 hours of sleep on school nights is recommended by the National Sleep Foundation, which the average teen fell short of, already causing a disadvantage when daily classroom duties are added.  A simple way to exemplify being ready to learn is arriving at school at a punctual time, which proves easier to do if students are well-rested.  Once a student enters the classroom on time with a ready mind, the enriching and exciting learning can begin! In the classroom, the best way to a life with minimal stress is through bringing the necessary materials required for that class.  Being ready to learn is all about how students can maximize their academic success.  Being mindful of each teacher’s expectations and procedures is a key factor in being ready to learn.  At Chino Hills High School, staff and students work together to ensure that each student comes to class with an equal opportunity to learn valuable lessons.  By being ready to learn, students take a great step toward their futures every day!

PBIS- Be Respectful

There are many different ways to show respectful behavior. There are different behaviors that can demonstrate respect. To start being an honest person demonstrates that you respect them enough, to be honest with them. Being able to understand your financial responsibility and taking care of it without having to be nagged shows that you respect yourself to get things done and respect others to pay your bills that you owe to them. Another way you can demonstrate respect is showing good manners with proper conduct at the table or in another person’s household while respecting the rules that they have which might be different from which you are used to. Another form of showing respect can be if you messed up and you’ve been called out by another person you can either choose to lie, or respect that person and own what you had done instead. By doing this puts respect on your name by being known as that person who accepts what he had done and takes ownership for what he had done with all the consequences to come. Apologizing goes a long way with showing respect, demonstrating that you respect them and that you will own up when it’s your fault. People typically will also look towards you as a leader because of the way you carry yourself. Demonstrating the way, you treat others is the way you will be treated, by treating others with respect you will then be treated with respect back.