The Preserve Fire in Chino

The Preserve Fire in Chino

Photo by Alyssa Gordon

Photo by Alyssa Gordon

Photo by Alyssa Gordon

Alyssa Gordon, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, May 7 a fire at a Chino dairy started right by the Preserve where some Chino Hills High students live and or went to elementary school at Cal Aero Preserve Academy was extremely close to the site where the fire began. What started the fire is still unknown, but the hay at the dairy kept the fire going leading it to persist burning as of May 10. While the fire was contained by firefighters quickly, the effects of the event hit the surrounding areas immediately. Smoke from the fire could be smelled all the way to Chino Hills and Eastvale, but especially in the Preserve. A warning was issued for those in the surrounding areas including Riverside and Temecula, to stay inside with the air conditioning on in their homes. Residents in the closer neighborhoods could see the fire raging from their windows when it first began, and many took pictures because of how close they were to the fire. Those in nearby homes, fortunately, did not have to evacuate because of how fast the situation was handled by the fire department. Luckily, no one was hurt by the accident and none of the cows from the dairy were harmed as well. According to the May 11 article from the Chino Champion, “Hay Fire Still Burning” by Josh Thompson, $750,000 to $1 million worth of hay was destroyed due to the fire. With it being several days after the fire struck, Chino residents returned back to their normal routine without worrying about the dairy fire.