Heat Makes Fair a Flop or a Positive Experience for the New Year?

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Photo by Nicholas Grobecker

Hanna Nelson, Staff Writer

To kick off the 2019-2020 school year, Chino Hills High School hosted a Husky Pride Field Day on the first day of school. Available activities included inflatable obstacle courses, airbrush tattoos, and snacks from various food stands including Kona Ice and Chick-fil-a. The event showed promise, as there were lines for all activities and notably

long lines for food. Students showed a desire to participate. Despite this promise, the planners of the event were not prepared for the number of students that were in attendance. The Chick-fil-a stand ran out of food, and there was simply not enough shade for students to cool off. It was hot out, and the number of students in the football stadium worsened the heat. Students crowded in any shaded area, not just a few easy-ups put out for them.  In general, the heat proved to be a damper on the festivities. Many students said that they wanted to go through an obstacle course, or they wanted to dance, but it was just too hot. Although there were some

Photo by Hannah Nelson

shortcomings, the field day may still have been a good idea. The largest complaint that students had been about the heat, for which the planners of the field day cannot be blamed. Students seemed at least slightly receptive to the idea of a non-traditional first day, as all the activities and food stands had lines. The high school has recently had a change of administration, and the field day seems to perhaps signify a change in attitude as well. The administration seems to be on the right track, and if responsive to student feedback about events such as the field day, will likely be able to create a positive experience for students this year.