Battle of the Bone 2019

September 5, 2019

Battle of the Bone 2019

Courtesy of the Howler

Courtesy of the Howler

Courtesy of the Howler

On August 24, 2019, Chino Hills High School held their 16th annual Battle of the Bone football game against Ayala High School. There is always a lot of anticipation leading up to this event, but this year, the stakes were at their highest. The tension from last year’s devastating loss still lingered, however, our Huskies were excited and determined to win. This year, the game took place at Ayala, and both sides were packed with students. Everyone in the Chino Hills Dog Pound coordinated in all white, which united us and helped lift our spirits. The excitement as the first quarter took off was through the roof, and the typical cheers from ASB began to take place. Our students remained energetic and encouraging through the first half, but it was not until the third quarter to the game and the crowd got very intense. Throughout the third quarter, people in the Dog Pound attempted to crowd surf, sparking captivating energy from the crowd. Meanwhile, the game started to become hopeful and exciting, as our team scored the first touchdown of the game. Shortly after this touchdown was scored our Dog Pound went wild, and we celebrated by throwing blue and green powder into the air. Unfortunately, our celebration came too soon, as the Bulldogs came back and scored to tie the game 7-7. This trend of scoring back-to-back seemed to continue throughout the rest of the game, and when the fourth quarter hit, Chino Hills became shocked with the ending result. At the end of the fourth quarter, Chino Hills was leading 29-21, and amazingly Ayala managed to score another touchdown with 0.7 seconds left in the game, tying the score. Rather than going into overtime, our team took a risk to play for two instead, which unfortunately did not work in our favor. Ayala ended up winning the game with a score of 29-28, however, both teams played hard and put up a good fight. Although this was not the result most students were hoping for, the electric energy of the Dog Pound and intensity of the game made the experience fun and entertaining overall.