Banding Together With School Spirit

Banding Together With School Spirit

Hannah Nelson, Staff Writer

In preparation for the Battle of the Bone, ASB planned spirit days for every day of the week leading up to the game. Tuesday’s theme was “Battle of the Squads,” or twin day, with the goal being to get as many people as possible to twin with you. Many students participated, coordinating their outfits with friends, but there were few large groups. Most people matched with a friend or two rather than trying to get a lot of people to match with them. While the original idea of seeing who could get the most people to twin with them may have been meant to foster a competitive spirit, preparing students to have competitive energy toward our rival school, what actually occurred was more about friendship and banding together. Close friends twinned with each other in order to demonstrate their friendship and show a little school spirit.

This idea of banding together was carried throughout the day. ASB didn’t have any activities planned for lunch, likely because they needed all hands on deck in the student store. Tuesday was the first day that tickets were available for the Battle of the Bone. Tickets were only available for students with an ASB card and the game was free for those students. Lines were long, with students lining up even before the bell rang for lunch. Despite this, the lines reportedly moved quickly, more so than in previous years, because this year instead of searching a list several pages long for students’ names, ASB students simply scanned students’ ASB card. Whether or not the line moved quickly, it still had a lot of students in it, both at lunch and after school. This demonstrates at least some degree of school spirit, as students lined up in numbers to receive a ticket to the game. Whether banding together against Ayala or banding together with their friends, Chino Hills students were united in both large and small numbers on Tuesday.