Meme Day at Chino Hills High

Meme Day at Chino Hills High

Photo by Julia Craig

Photo by Julia Craig

Photo by Julia Craig

Parker Cameron, Staff Writer

August 19, 2019, marked the beginning of the first spirit week of the year at Chino Hills High. The first day of the Husky Pride week was called meme day. Memes are pictures on the internet that have funny subtitles. Most memes have pictures of people on them. This is where the inspiration for meme day comes in. The challenge was for students to dress up like the people in the memes. Although this seemed like a fun day very few people dressed up for this day. The real question is why students decided not to dress up for a day that seems like it could be fun. The reason for students not dressing up for meme day could be a couple of things depending on the student. Some students could have simply forgotten about the spirit week. Although the school did give out many reminders about the spirit week some students could have ignored them and forgot about the spirit week altogether missing a day that they could have dressed up as their favorite meme. Another reason that there was a low turnout of people dressing up as memes might be because of a lack of knowledge of what memes are.

Although many students do know what memes are there are of course some who don’t have the knowledge of what memes are. Perhaps if they knew what a meme was they would have dressed up. One last reason that students didn’t dress out for meme day is that they lacked the confidence to try. High School can be a very nerve-racking thing with the pressure to fit in. Some students might not have wanted to seem “uncool” and decided to not wear anything to represent a meme but in high school, you want to take risks and even if they don’t turn out how you want them too at least you tried. Although many students decided not to dress up for meme day there were, of course, some who did. They would dress up to represent their favorite memes and some could be very funny. Although most costumes weren’t spot on or very elaborate you were still able to tell what meme they were as long as you had prior knowledge of what the meme is. This spirit day was overall really fun for everyone involved and would definitely be something I would love to participate in, in the future.