My First-Time Experience at the Battle of the Bone

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Photo by Giselle Orozco

Tiffany Chen, Staff Writer

Last Saturday night, I went to Ayala with some friends to attend the football game. As a freshman, this would be my first time going to the Battle of the Bone as a Chino Hills High student. This was also my first time ever attending a live football game, so I was super enthusiastic to see the whole thing play out. Despite not being an athletic person myself, I find it interesting to watch sports games occasionally on television. Also, I thought it would be fantastic to go cheer for the Chino Hills High School football team.
About an hour before going to Ayala, I hung out with some friends at the local mall. We mostly talked about how much we looked forward to the Battle of the Bone. We were all dressed in our “Dog Pound” T-shirts to show support for our school. My friends and I were very proud to be Huskies.
As we entered the outdoor field, my friends and I quickly noticed how crowded the whole place was. We had arrived rather early, yet the stadium was still filled with many people sitting on the bleachers. Looking across the field, I could see that the side of the Ayala High School students was a bright blur of red and white. Since there weren’t
enough seats, our group had to split up and find different places to sit. It turned out to be alright since I could still get a clear view of the field from where I was sitting.
There were stands set up that were selling numerous food items, such as candy, soda, and even Chik-fil-a sandwiches.
The game was so fun to watch! Every second was filled with thrilling suspense. Every time the Chino Hills High football team scored a point, the students would cheer loudly as the Spiritleaders chanted and the marching band played a tune on their instruments. It was great to see how everyone who had attended the game was involved in one way or
another. The enthusiasm was high in the crowd.
At some point in the game, green powder was thrown at the crowd, which meant that many people got “powdered”. As I left the game to go home, I remember seeing many people having green stains on their T-shirts. During the first three-quarters of the game, it looked like Chino Hills was in the lead, as we had many points over Ayala. However, as
the fourth and last quarter of the game came, things would change. When it was the last quarter of the football game, Ayala had scored a touchdown, which had bumped it up to 29 points, while Chino Hills only had 28 points. This meant that Ayala was in the lead by 1 point.
There was only 7 seconds left on the timer, and it was a slim chance that the Huskies would have a victory this year over the Bulldogs. The end result of the Battle of the Bone was that Ayala had won this year, which left many of the Huskies feeling disappointed. Though I don’t think we should feel this way…we should still feel optimistic and
look forward to next year’s Battle of the Bone. Perhaps next year, we can finally take back the bone and break Ayala’s two-year winning streak.