Swinging Back into Action: Girls Varsity Golf

October 8, 2019

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

“We laugh through the pain and persevere through stressful moments.”

Coming off its second straight Baseline League title, Chino Hills High School Girls’ Varsity Golf team defeated Upland High School at Upland Golf Course. This brings its overall record of 8-0 and league record of 2-0. The girl’s varsity golf team is one of the most vibrant sports groups on Chino Hills High campus. When asked about the different aspects that contribute to their undefeated status, sophomore player Joyce answered, “I think our friendship definitely contributes to our success as a team.”Senior captain, Kalea Olsen, adds, “we make sure to work together in improving our shots, so we build much more reliant on each other. We get better individually, and as a team.” In fact, the team has a tradition of praying before games and cheering for each other after each goal that a member makes during a game.

Each member has their own story and upbringing in the sport. Many of the girls jokingly stated that they were forced into the sport by their dads. Freshman player, Joyce Tseng described her interesting entryway that led her to pursue golf in high school, “I was so good with WII sports golf, and I was like, this is really fun! I want to play golf! But of course, I was a bit naive and didn’t realize how difficult it really is.”

Along with the beauty of teamwork, the sport is not without its challenges. There is a reason why golf is one of the highest paying sports. Everyone on the team agreed that the most difficulty with the sport is the ability to stay patient. And not many people recognize that golf is more of a mental sport than a physical sport. Not to mention, there is a two-hour practice everyday and matches are time-consuming. Most start at 2:30 pm and can end anytime- the latest ever being 9 pm. The sport demands time management skills and responsibility. All members on the team are excellent academic achievers, but it can become difficult when trying to balance a challenging sport with a compacted academic schedule. Although the sport can be much more of a challenge, Joyce Tseng comments, “the people that I get to meet and play with, even being with my team members most of the day drives me to stay and enjoy the long journey.”

Senior team captain, Kalea Olsen, sees growth and potential in the team as she states, “I definitely have become less frustrated, the most challenging thing that I have worked on is staying calm. Not many people realize this, but golf is a mentally exhausting sport. In order to survive, you need to be encouraging all the time. I have seen growth and potential in the team throughout the years. And I look forward to finishing my last year without regret.’’ Senior member, Yuqing Zhang, describes the way to succeed when it comes to matches: “You need to think about every single stroke you make. But you shouldn’t stress yourself out so much. And keep in mind that you always have another chance to make up for the one. The only strategy of playing is that you need to be good at staying dedicated during practice.”

Overall, the varsity golf team has improved much over the years to have made it this far undefeated in league since 2018. They have achieved one of their goals already, which was to defeat Upland High School in an away game that was on September 26th. The team hopes to be able to achieve similar victories at CIF. With a combination of upcoming tournaments and league games.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial