• Girls Golf
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3

Girls Golf Team Press Conference With the Howler

Photo by Paige Faia

Photo by Paige Faia

Photo by Paige Faia

October 8, 2019

The Girls Golf team is a prime example of a group that “lights up the room” when they walk in. As they all gathered together for the Press Conference that took place on September 28, 2019, the room was immediately filled with laughs and lighthearted energy. It was evident from the moment they arrived that they have a special team chemistry and a strong appreciation for one another. The Girl’s Golf Team is highly respected around CHHS due to their undefeated season last year.

Even more impressive, they were able to maintain their undefeated status this season, and their current league record is 10-0. Many girls on the team began playing golf for various reasons; some said their dads encouraged them to play, some joined on their own, and freshman, Joyce Tseng, started because of how much she enjoyed playing golf on Wii Sports. Regardless of how their golf careers began, they all agreed that joining the golf team was one of the best decisions they could have made. They deeply cherish all of the friendships they have created since joining golf and attribute their success to how well they get along as a team. They expressed that golf is extremely difficult, and it requires a lot of patience.

There are many moments where they become frustrated, but they are the type of team that knows how to “laugh through the pain” and encourage one another no matter what. Their most recent game against Upland High School was very meaningful for them because they consider Upland as their rival. Upland’s Golf Team has the second-best record after Chino Hills, so the game had a lot at stake. Fortunately, they were able to take the W, and the final score against Upland was 204-214. They are very motivated to continue their winning streak, and this year their goal as a team is to win CIF. Overall, the Girls Golf Team consists of determined, energetic, and positive young ladies who deserve all of the success they have worked so hard for this season. I wish them luck in the rest of their season and hope to see them accomplish their goal of winning CIF.

Swinging Back into Action: Girls Varsity Golf

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

“We laugh through the pain and persevere through stressful moments.”

Coming off its second straight Baseline League title, Chino Hills High School Girls’ Varsity Golf team defeated Upland High School at Upland Golf Course. This brings its overall record of 8-0 and league record of 2-0. The girl’s varsity golf team is one of the most vibrant sports groups on Chino Hills High campus. When asked about the different aspects that contribute to their undefeated status, sophomore player Joyce answered, “I think our friendship definitely contributes to our success as a team.”Senior captain, Kalea Olsen, adds, “we make sure to work together in improving our shots, so we build much more reliant on each other. We get better individually, and as a team.” In fact, the team has a tradition of praying before games and cheering for each other after each goal that a member makes during a game.

Each member has their own story and upbringing in the sport. Many of the girls jokingly stated that they were forced into the sport by their dads. Freshman player, Joyce Tseng described her interesting entryway that led her to pursue golf in high school, “I was so good with WII sports golf, and I was like, this is really fun! I want to play golf! But of course, I was a bit naive and didn’t realize how difficult it really is.”

Along with the beauty of teamwork, the sport is not without its challenges. There is a reason why golf is one of the highest paying sports. Everyone on the team agreed that the most difficulty with the sport is the ability to stay patient. And not many people recognize that golf is more of a mental sport than a physical sport. Not to mention, there is a two-hour practice everyday and matches are time-consuming. Most start at 2:30 pm and can end anytime- the latest ever being 9 pm. The sport demands time management skills and responsibility. All members on the team are excellent academic achievers, but it can become difficult when trying to balance a challenging sport with a compacted academic schedule. Although the sport can be much more of a challenge, Joyce Tseng comments, “the people that I get to meet and play with, even being with my team members most of the day drives me to stay and enjoy the long journey.”

Senior team captain, Kalea Olsen, sees growth and potential in the team as she states, “I definitely have become less frustrated, the most challenging thing that I have worked on is staying calm. Not many people realize this, but golf is a mentally exhausting sport. In order to survive, you need to be encouraging all the time. I have seen growth and potential in the team throughout the years. And I look forward to finishing my last year without regret.’’ Senior member, Yuqing Zhang, describes the way to succeed when it comes to matches: “You need to think about every single stroke you make. But you shouldn’t stress yourself out so much. And keep in mind that you always have another chance to make up for the one. The only strategy of playing is that you need to be good at staying dedicated during practice.”

Overall, the varsity golf team has improved much over the years to have made it this far undefeated in league since 2018. They have achieved one of their goals already, which was to defeat Upland High School in an away game that was on September 26th. The team hopes to be able to achieve similar victories at CIF. With a combination of upcoming tournaments and league games.

Undefeated Chino Hill High School Girls Golf

Photo by Mr. MIsawa

Photo by Mr. MIsawa

Photo by Mr. MIsawa

Classy, fun, hardworking, and driven, the 15 young ladies on the CHHS Girl’s golf team were a delight to get to know. These girls have been undefeated since the end of last year’s season, and have continued to keep their winning streak this season as well. Their record may be extremely impressive, but what was more impressive was the true friendship and solid bond the team has with one another. These qualities and their composed mindset are just some of the small characteristics that have contributed to their success.

Regardless of the skill set of each individual player, the girls make sure to prioritize teamwork over everything else. The experience each girl has playing golf varies from seven years to only a couple of months, however, according to Joyce, “The amount of experience we have does not matter since we are so close, we know how to work together in order to win.” It is this philosophy that gives our team an edge against a rival team, Upland High School. Unanimously, every girl on the team agreed that playing against Upland was the most fun, yet most competitive.

Loren explained that the motivation to defeat Upland stems from an altercation that occurred between the Upland coach and the Chino Hills team in their last match. Ever since then, the girls have not only been motivated to defeat Upland but have set a long term goal to win CIF. As the season continues, team captain Kalea Olsen has made it a priority that, “As long as we stay focused and keep our emotions in check, we have what it takes to win CIF”. Considering that our girl’s golf team remains undefeated, and they have an outstanding work ethic, this goal is more than likely going to become a reality.

Still Swinging: Girls Golf Remains Undefeated

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

Photo by Mr. Misawa

The Girls’ Golf Team here at Chino Hills High School has quite the record. They have so far been undefeated in their season and have beaten Upland High School (their biggest rival) twice. They play Upland one more time this season and if they win again, they will probably remain undefeated for the rest of the season. Kalea, who is a senior this year and is the team captain, says that the goal of the season is to be CIF champions. And, with their current record, this goal is not out of reach. So, why are these girls so good at what they do? It may just be their positive attitude. Joyce, who has reportedly been playing golf since she played Wii Sports as a young girl, says that the friendship the team has contributes to its teamwork. The girls on the team are always supportive of each other. Apparently, they always pray as a team before their matches, and they always shout “wooh” when someone makes a good shot. Although golf has a reputation for being quiet and serious, Terra, whom the other girls say is the funniest on the team, says that the team is “not quiet and serious.” Loren says, about the team, “We have a positive mindset on everything we do.” This mindset likely makes all the difference in a sport that the girls say is more mental than physical. It may even be the reason why the team is still undefeated and is dispelling the myth that golf is a man’s game.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial