• Volleyball
    • Chapter 1

Howler Interview With Girls Volleyball

Howler Staff

Howler Staff

Howler Staff

Howler Interview With Girls Volleyball

October 23, 2019

The girls on the Chino Hills High School Volleyball Team (8-11-1 Overall, 0-9 in league) are not discouraged by their record, due to the fact that they have been placed in a competitive league. While their season has been challenging, it has given them a great opportunity to learn and grow. Their greatest struggle was learning how to work effectively as a team, and developing strong team chemistry. While that was difficult for them to overcome, they feel confident about the progress they have made, and hope that it will pay off in the seasons to come. Setter, Camille The, is proud of the hard work they put in this season and stated that “our record does not show how we play.” Team Captain, Jia Albaran added, “if you don’t come to our games you don’t see how hard we work and how close the score is each time.” The team practices five days a week and works extremely hard in order to put up a tough fight on the court. This season involved a lot of change for the team, including new players, a new coach, and a new philosophy.
As a team, they collectively focused on the mental game of volleyball and learning how to persevere through challenging moments. The team emphasized how the mental aspect is just as important as a skill set. This mindset has allowed them to do well in tournaments and work through the issues they struggled with throughout their season.
Overall, the Girls Volleyball Team consists of determined players who look forward to using the knowledge they have obtained this season strive in the future

CHHS Girls Volleyball Team

CHHS Girls Volleyball Team

Photo by Ava Kendrena

Photo by Ava Kendrena

Photo by Ava Kendrena

This season for the Chino Hills Lady Huskies has been a period of growth, development, and rebuilding. The girls have faced several challenges this year, including getting a new coach, starting off the season with injured players, and being in a competitive league. Overall, the team has a record of 8-11-1, and their league record is 0-9. Although the Lady Huskies have struggled this season, they are still optimistic. According to team captain, Jia Albaran, “Our record isn’t a reflection of how we play. If you are not at the games, you do not see how hard we work, and how close the score is each time”. Every girl is in agreement that in order to improve, they need to focus on the mental aspect of the game, and learn to play as a team. Throughout the season, the girls have had difficulty trying to adjust to the current leadership of their new coach and trying to strengthen their team chemistry.

The fact that they have acknowledged and started to work on these issues has helped significantly, and they have been able to make great progress in tournaments. Senior, Kylie Aalan claims that the highlight of the season for her was the Ayala tournament, where the team took home second place out of twelve teams. As stated by Kylie, “It was really fun being able to beat our rival team, and we were able to play incredibly well that day.” All of the obstacles the team has faced this season allowed them to grow into stronger, more focused players, which will enable them to apply their newfound skills into next year’s season.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial