My First and Last Homecoming

My First and Last Homecoming

Photo provided by Hannah Nelson

Photo provided by Hannah Nelson

Photo provided by Hannah Nelson

Hannah Nelson, Staff Writer

Saturday, October 26 marked this year’s Homecoming Dance at Chino Hills High School. The theme for the dance was, “Once Upon a Homecoming” which loosely translated to a fairy tale and medieval themed. The dance was held from 7 pm to 11 pm in the large gym and the ASB quad of the school. 

The area was decorated a bit to match the theme, including knights on the stage in the gym and medieval-style banners hanging from the second story of the quad. Aside from the obvious dancing, there were many activities available. There were arcade games, a pool table, a photo booth, an airbrush tattoo stand, and caricature artists. Food was provided by the culinary classes, and it consisted of cupcakes and various bite-sized desserts like cheesecake bites. 

This year was the first Homecoming dance I attended (I have attended the football game once before) and it will be my last as I am graduating next May. I attended with a group which was a mix of people who really wanted to dance and some who really didn’t. Across group members, pretty much everything at the dance was done. Those who wanted to dance enjoyed dancing, but commented that the better songs were played towards the beginning and later didn’t dance as much because they thought the DJ wasn’t playing much of a variety of songs and didn’t play many songs they deemed good to dance to. Those who didn’t want to dance found other things to do for part of the dance and seemed to enjoy the variety of activities available. Though the group left half an hour before the dance ended and didn’t seem overwhelmingly enthusiastic, there was still something for everyone and everyone had a good time.